Which backup type?

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been exploring AOMEI Backupper (recommended on another thread) and have done a 'System backup' and a 'Files and Folders backup' on to a USB external hard disc. However, I am not sure whether what I have done is best for my purposes, so am hoping someone might offer some advice.

I intend to re-install Windows 7 on to my computer, using a restore partition on the hard disc. I realise that this will restore the computer to factory settings.

When I have done this, I'd like to re-install some (but perhaps not all) of the programmes I presently have on my computer, and then again some (but possibly not all) of the documents and files.

There are several options on AOMEI Backupper for backing up data and I'm not sure which would be best to use:
- Files and folders backup
- System backup
- Disc backup
- Partition and volume backup

Ideally, I'd like to re-install Windows, then choose which programmes and files to restore one-by-one or by individual folders (eg, documents, images, videos, etc.).

Having then got my computer back to a pristine state, I'd like to do a full backup of everything followed by differential (or incremental) backups periodically in case of a hard disc fault in the future.

I should be most grateful if anyone could advise me which of the above options would be best for my purposes.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I know it is more costly, but I would always recommend buying a new hard drive, installing Windows on that, then doing a restore, as that way you aren't at the mercy of your backup software - you can always swap your old hard drive back in. Windows lets you use it for 30 days (ish) without a key, so you can keep on installing Windows, doing trial restores etc. until you get it right with zero risk.

I haven't used AOMEI Backupper myself, but I find programs such as that don't tend to let you allow you to restore individual programs - its either restoring a whole disk (in case of drive failure), or files and settings. It looks that is the case with AOMEI too.

Finally, don't forget to store your backup drive in another building when you aren't using it, I know people who have had both their laptop and backup drive stolen at once.

Thank you JCollins.

Since I posed the question on here, I have done the backups that I thought best. I have done the following:

- A System Image backup using Windows Backup and Restore
- A File and Folders backup using AOMEI
- A copy of C:/Users/(My name) by simply dragging/copying

All three of these were done using a Western Digital external HD

In addition, I copied C:/Users/(My name) to a Freecom external HD, and copied the same to another laptop.

Belt and braces, as they say! As you might guess, my main concern is my files. Replacing programmes isn't a problem, as I have CDs/DVDs for some and others were downloaded (free!). If the very worst came to the very worst, I suppose I could buy another Windows, but certainly not W8!

As for installing Windows on a new hard drive, I'm afraid I do not possess a Windows disc. As I'm sure you are aware, most computer manufacturers these days supply a recovery sector. Personally, I'd much prefer a Windows CD/DVD, but that's another story.

Anyway, thanks for your help. May I ask whether my choice of backups and copies above are what you would have done under similar circumstances? On the other hand, would you recommend something else that I could still do?

As for installing Windows on a new hard drive, I'm afraid I do not possess a Windows disc. As I'm sure you are aware, most computer manufacturers these days supply a recovery sector. Personally, I'd much prefer a Windows CD/DVD, but that's another story.

If you can 'acquire' a Windows 7 OEM disc chances are it will work with your key, and you aren't breaking your licence so long as you use it with the computer you bought. I agree it is frustrating, however.

May I ask whether my choice of backups and copies above are what you would have done under similar circumstances? On the other hand, would you recommend something else that I could still do?
I used to do a regular 'files and folders' backup, and monthly (ish) full computer backups, and left the hard drive at work. Now I have so many computers and devices I have tried to set them to do 'cloud' type backups of documents, photos etc. I just accept if a hard drive fails it will be inconvenient but I won't lose anything vital. If I reinstall Windows, I do it on a new hard drive, then copy the old documents over when I'm satisfied its all ok.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you have the backup situation pretty well covered JBR.

I have some experience with Aomei Backupper. Used it for full system images on my previous computer. This was initially running Windows 7 and then Windows 8 when it came out. Aomei wrote and restored images every time without a problem on both operating systems.

I installed Aomei on my new computer that had a UEFI motherboard (W.8.1) and a solid state drive. Aomei wouldn't work. It wrote the image OK but the restore process just hung. This might have been something to do with the UEFI motherboard settings but I didn't really want to start playing with those on an unfamiliar computer.

Since then, I've use Windows 8.1's own disk imaging function. Both writing and restoring work OK using this, so I haven't bothered getting to the bottom of the Aomei problem. I only want a simple disk image that I can write back in one go and W.8.1's own imaging function does this OK.

Any disk images are stored on a second internal hard drive (handy to have two internal drives) along with many folders full of music, photos and other individual files/folders. The contents of the second internal hard disk are occasionally copied to a USB drive as well. There are also some copied to DVDs.

I think the only other backup that could be considered is somewhere in the Cloud but maybe this isn't necessary in view of the other backup measures.

Thanks again, JC. That Windows download site looks useful.

I also use 'cloud' backups, both Dropbox and OneDrive, but mainly just for transferring updated files to my second (old, small and slow) 'reserve' laptop.

Thanks for your response, Rider.

Yes, I got AOMEI because it had some good reviews, but also because my Windows 7 Backup and Restore wouldn't do incremental/differential backups properly: it took just as long as a full backup (although I used the W7 B&R for the initial system image backup).

Incidentally, I used to use the backup software that came with my Western Digital external HDD (can't remember the name), but that was next to useless: I discovered that at least one important file had not been backed up after I had used it, so I ditched it.

With regards to back-up you need a multi-pronged strategy.

Keeping stuff on a backup hard disk, is not safe, if you have a burglary. Nor if there is a fire.

May be an on-line cloud back-up might be interesting.

Someone suggested backup on USB. This is a good idea. However, if you 'silent' virus on your PC, it will merely spread to your USB. So corrupting both your PC and USB. This is why DVD disks are much better as they are Read-Only. However, the die on a DVD tends to degrade over time and prone to scratching.

It depends on your reasons for back-up. May be some family photos are sentimental, but for others they are not interested, as everything is on facebook.

The strategy depends on your reasoning.

Back