Quality of existing loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have been living in present house for a good few years and ain't got around to replacing insulation in loft. House is freezing from Nov to March despite double glazing and cavity wall. I know the insulation needs to be attended to and will address in the summer. Like most lifts it's boarded and, apart from having to remove, I wondered whether that would offset the heat loss?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Lest there be any confusion:

I'm not asking if loft board can somehow replace insulation but whether it can offset the existing poor insulation pending replacement of said insulation?

Many thanks

Just get some rolls of insulation, remove the boards, and add it on top of the existing.

You will notice a difference straight away, and it is much better working in the loft in winter (you work hard to keep warm) than in summer (You sweat a lot doing nothing).

agreed, you really really do not want to do it in the summer.

The loft board will make a tiny difference in that it might stop some airflow through the insulation below it, rather than actually having much of an insulative effect.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, slight variation on a theme now. I know one isn't supposed to lay insulation and then just put board over it (need to raise board by putting batons across joist etc etc). However, it would be easier if I could lay the insulation over the baord. Is that an option?

Many thanks again.

Hi

Sorry if this has been done to death etc. Am hoping to start insulating loft this weekend so any advice re query on laying on top of boards would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

HI,

You can lay it on top of the boards, that doesn't really make a difference. The only problem you will now have is that you will no longer have a boarder floor in your attic.

Personally I would cross board your existing floor joists to raise the floor up so that you can fit insulation underneath, you can then put back your existing flooring.

Thanks

Since posting this read that laying on top of boards can create air pocket and cause condensation, damp etc!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back