condensing boiler. air intake question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a conservatory is fitted to a wall that has a condensing boiler vent passing through it then a 90-degree upwards turn terminating approx 1.5 meters above the conservatory.

The boiler was fitted before the conservatory and the flue hasn't been altered apart from a gasket through the conservatory roof.
My concern is that the air intake is being drawn from inside the conservatory whereas before it was external.
Is it correct or should the flue have been boxed in allowing the 'air' to be drawn down directly from outside?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's a balanced flue the then the exhaust and intake are both contained within the flue.

Is it your property and when was the conservatory added/boiler installed?

Sounds like it has a plume kit fitted. Air must be drawn from outside. Whoever fitted conservatory should of got this sorted.

Sponsored Links
have you got a picture?

both the air intake and the exhaust must be outside, what youre describing sounds dangerous.

is it something like this?

side-plumbe.jpg

yes its similar set-up to the photo, from what I can gather the conservatory has been fitted after the boiler, it's not mine but one that we overlook.
I think there was an intention to 'box-in' the flue when the new boiler has been fitted but its not been done yet.

If the air intake is inside the conservatory then it is still monumentally retarded.

The boiler being there first means nothing and the builder has broken several laws in doing the work.

Am I right to conclude that even if the flue is boxed in it'll still be wrong.
It would be easier to raise the subject with them if I could say you'd be better getting it done sooner than later as its not right.

Right from what I can gather the intention was/is that the existing flue would be boxed in with the rop open thefefore the 'flue' will 'still be external'.
They havent done this, instead they have fitted the 'correct sized' air vent 'always open' inside the conservatory.
Perhaps you can gather I have mentioned to them that I thought that it looked dodgy.

Is there anywhere online I can show him as I hadn't realised that the boiler was renewed the same time as ours under British Gas improvement scheme.
I'm in danger of appearing a noesy old wa###r who lives over the back.
What bothers me is students live there and simply block up the vent as i'it causes a draft'.

Students and all tenants often block up air vents regardless of any warning notices.

These are meant to be the leaders of tomorrow!

In theory you could report it to the EHO at your local council although few will do much.

At least you could then sleep at night knowing you have done the right thing.

Tony

As the lady in the "spurting flue" thread has discovered. the powers that be are not able or interested in sorting out this kind of abortion.

Much cheaper and easier to go after the registered who make a mistake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back