Moving soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much of a 'World of Pain' would I open myself up to if I wanted to move the soil pipe to where the red circle is? I would like to installed a wall hung toilet.

Direction of pipe (I think) in blue, and it's a concrete floor.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A quite big world, depending on your skills.

Floor will need to be broken up with a large hired concrete breaker.You will then have to dig down to unsmashed pipe, and connect plastic using an adaptor, reroute to your new location, and redo the floor, with DPC, etc, etc.

I would be tempted to box the area in, bring the lot forward, then you can put the loo further to the left, but have it draining into the same floor socket.

1. Could you be specific -type, make, model no, etc - ref the WC you propose? Are you aware of "Back to wall" WC's?

2. Bringing things forward might bring the pan towards the doorway.
FWIW, WC's require a free space of 533mm before the pan.
Not essential, but might be picked up on a House Survey.

3. I assume that the wall behind the fixtures is masonry?

4. Would it be worth your while to re-design the bathroom/ WC closet?

5. FWIW: To break a slab doesn't require a large, heavy breaker - a masonry blade in a circular saw will open up a slab.

if you're confident to tackle it then clear away old toilet, safety glasses, mask and gloves on, cut along white line with angle grinder with a diamond concrete blade and water to cool.
hatch across the cut to make squares inside the line and then a good bolster and hammer and clear out a channel slightly deeper than the waste pipe fitting, and extend the run out to where you want it

Sponsored Links
Cheers Guys.

Don't want to box in as it's already a small room, an as mentioned the door is already pretty close to the toilet.

Not chosen the WC, but would like wall hung, rather than back to wall.

Think i'll start having exploratory excavations around the soil pipe.

Cheers

Good news! Finally started this project.

A few things, is there a fitting that would get me 100mm to the left and 250 towards the wall that i can connect straight to the clay pipe? I have a depth of 240mm from the clay pipe to floor level.

Also, looking into the clay pipe there is water sitting in there. Does the join between the bend and the pipe look OK?

youtube video

Thanks

Not really, I'd get down to the pipe and then rubber coupling onto PVC. Buy a breaker from ScrewFix for £150 and be careful about cracking the pipe.

Good news! Finally started this project.

A
Also, looking into the clay pipe there is water sitting in there. Does the join between the bend and the pipe look OK?

Thanks
The pipe you have is Hepsleeve ( check it out ) ;) So I personally would leave it alone and plug in a Mac Alpine drain connector into the top of the bend . OR you're going to be doing a lot more digging ;) But the hepsleeve pipe should resist being disturbed better than old salt glazed. The join you ask about is not the worst I've seen . It's your call really. PS what's outside the wall ? can you go through and then down outside

Does the Kim Kardashian video bare any relation to peering inside that hole? :LOL: :LOL:

I'm now too scared to Google the Kim Kardashian video!

Thanks for the answers. I've done a little more digging, literally.

I've managed to expose the lower join between the bend and the horizontal pipe. I'm guessing it would be best to attach any fittings to this pipe now I have it exposed rather then onto the already installed bend?

I assume normal 110mm fittings will attach directly to the pipe?

Thanks

I'd leave the bend in situ, trying to get onto the horizontal pipe may prove a beggar with the limited room you have. As Nige says, you have 'Hepsleve' pipe there, which i'm pretty sure may be slightly different outside diameter to 'Supersleve' which is the current clayware offering. You may be able to tell, Hepworth used to have their name and brand moulded onto the plastic collars during manufacture, so look on the side on the collar, you may be able to see it.

Personally I would be looking to fit a 'Flexseal' type rubber coupling to the upward spigot of the clay bend, (the plastic collar should pull off with some gentle persuasion, although dont go so mad as to crack the bend!). From there 'dogleg' with a couple of 45 ° plastic bends to get the drain where you want it against the wall.

Thanks for that. Don't think I have enough room for the two fittings to get to the new desired position as I only have 240mm height from the existing clay fitting to floor level.

Looks like I'll need to get down to horizontal pipe level.

Cheers.

Got this from the installed pipework.

Any help in deciding if standard 110mm fittings will fit on the end of the horizontal pipe?

110mm wont fit straight on, you need the appropriate collar to change to plastic. What does it say on the other collar? Opposite side to that lot should be the the name in big letters.

Problem is, (I've checked now! ;) ), Hepsleve and Supersleve are different sizes, and depending on which you have depends on which collar you need to convert to 110mm plastic. Hepsleve is Wavin (Osma) part no. 4A08A and Supersleve 4A18A.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back