Metal CU's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone fitting them as standard yet? Trying to price a job but I'm having trouble even find all-metal (incl cover) pre-wired dual rcd or 'high integrity' boards. Anyone got any recommendations? I guess the wholesalers are trying to clear their insulated stock before offering a range of metalclad options :confused:

Sponsored Links
Anyone fitting them as standard yet?

When it becomes a standard, I will! As it is not, I will continue fitting the boards that I have successfully installed without causing a fire hazard, thus far.

But if you are requiring to source one, look at the NHRS15SSLMHI

When it becomes a standard, I will! As it is not, I will continue fitting the boards that I have successfully installed without causing a fire hazard, thus far.
Very sensible. The problem at present is that it is very difficult to ascertain which of the plastic ones satisfy the 'non-combustible' requirement of Amd3. Hopefully the manufacturers will start telling us soon, if not only to reduce the large number of phone calls that they are probably starting to get!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
NHRS15SSLMHI seems to have a plastic cover, I did find a Wylex .pdf with their all-metal units: http://www.electrium.co.uk/downloads/Wylex_NM_Metal_CU_catalogue.pdf they just don't seem to be readily available yet.

I did advise the client that the new regs aren't compulsory until next January, and that we are still waiting clarification on whether or not some insulated CU's will comply, but I don't want to recommend an installation which it seems will be non-compliant in under a year.

They've really screwed this up by still not making clear what will be compliant and what will not.

They've really screwed this up by still not making clear what will be compliant and what will not.
I agree - it's quite ridiculous. As I said, hopefully the manufacturers will get to grips with this and, hopefully soon, will start telling us which of their products are Amd3-compliant (assuming, of course, that they are able to ascertain whether or not their products are compliant!).

Kind Regards, John

Schneider have been making metal CUs with metal lids since I were a lad.

I dare say they have, but nobody seems to sell them with 2/3 neutral bars and pre-wired with RCD's!

Hmm doesn't seem to stop everyone selling insulated ones in the same design.

I'm yet to convince anyone of the cost/benefit of an all RCBO install.

I've convinced most of the few domestic customers I work for.

Guess I predicted the new regs

966D6AFE-029B-4AC9-AD75-38D01997AE25-268-0000002239B61203.jpg

:cool:

Do you think that's because you are a bad 'convincer', or because the cost/benefit balance is not actually beneficial?
Kind Regards, John

A bit of both probably. I have never been a salesman, I just explain the options. Most never seem to want to spend more than necessary, or if they do they will spend it on fancy faceplates or light fittings etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back