New boiler installation - Contravention of regulations?

I haven't tried the website yet. I was hoping for a personal recommendation as I have been burnt many a time before with dodgy plumbing work!

Sponsored Links
I've had a quote of £85 to fit the thermostat... seems a little pricey for what should be 30 minutes work.

I've had a quote of £85 to fit the thermostat... seems a little pricey for what should be 30 minutes work.

Then either do it yourself or continue to tout around until you find someone to do it for a price that you dictate.

Sponsored Links
Unless he lives in the same street, it will probably take at least 25 min to drive to you, find your house and somewhere to park.

Another 1-3 min for you to answer the door.

Another 2-8 min for you to choose where you want it fitted.

Then I would say about 45 minutes to instal and test it.

Then 5 min while you find your checkbook and write out a cheque.

Then 10 min to pay the cheque into the bank ( if there are not long queues )

So I see £85 as quite reasonable.

Although for previous customers or when a boiler service is being done I often charge just £65.

Tony

Although for previous customers or when a boiler service is being done I often charge just £65.

Tony

I hope you're not still servicing boilers after writing this :eek:

"I allow about 75 minutes for servicing these and add £12 if it needs a new thermocouple. I only replace them if the output voltage is low."

You need to go back on that course :rolleyes:[/b]

Unless he lives in the same street, it will probably take at least 25 min to drive to you, find your house and somewhere to park.

Another 1-3 min for you to answer the door.

Another 2-8 min for you to choose where you want it fitted.

Then I would say about 45 minutes to instal and test it.

Then 5 min while you find your checkbook and write out a cheque.

Then 10 min to pay the cheque into the bank ( if there are not long queues )

So I see £85 as quite reasonable.

Tony

He does live on the same street and I'll pay cash! However I get your point that the price quoted isn't horrendous.

In that case I would have thought £65 would have been enough but perhaps like me he quotes standard prices for similar jobs.

Suggest to him that Tony would only charge £65 in that situation.

Tony

After 3 plumbers visited and said they couldn't do it I arranged for an electrician who sorted for £36.

Of course I arranged for one of the plumbers to be present so he could remove and replace the boiler cover.

why do people think paying cash means they should get a job done cheaper?
Your basically asking someone you don't know to carry out work in your property and then break the law by avoiding paying tax which if they get found out will incur a fine and or imprisonment but with zero risk to yourself :rolleyes:

I agree with your comment about cash, I shouldn't feel that paying this method will reduce the price.

No joke - 1 Gas Safe plumber stated over the phone they wouldn't know how to do it. 2 other Gas Safe plumbers visited the premises and said I would need to call an electrician. All 3 plumbers were obtained via the Gas Safe website.

The electrician did a good job and was paid £30 + £6 VAT.

Tony

I hope you're not still servicing boilers after writing this :eek:

"I allow about 75 minutes for servicing these and add £12 if it needs a new thermocouple. I only replace them if the output voltage is low."

You need to go back on that course :rolleyes:[/b]

What do you know about Boilers?? Thermocouple on a modern boiler!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back