Does a 'dynamic' light cord shortener exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've installed some new light fittings. They are the type where there are 6 individual light shades coming out of the rose, each shade is on an individual wire coming from the rose... so 6 wires dangling down from the ceiling.

They look good in place, but I was thinking they're a little long. I obviously saw inside the ceiling rose when I was fitting them and I don't fancy pulling it all apart and shortening each length of cord just to try it out.

So I wondered if a gadget or device exists where you can 'dynamically' shorten the cords to your desired length, with the ability to length them again if needed?

In my mind, this might be like a clip that creates a small loop of varying size in the cord, that ends up with the effect of the shade being raised. The clip could be some classy metallic effect, to act as a nice thing to observe, or a black or white plastic to try and blend in..?

Maybe it would be akin to the shoulder strap you get on a sports bag... it can vary the length to suit different people.

A Google search for "light cord shortener" really only seems to come up with instructions on how to hack away at the cables, which is not really what I'm wanting.

Anyone know if what I'm talking about already exists, or should I be putting in my application for Dragons' Den right about now (just as I've explained this thing that doesn't exist to everyone on the Internet)?

Sponsored Links
They look good in place, but I was thinking they're a little long. I obviously saw inside the ceiling rose when I was fitting them and I don't fancy pulling it all apart and shortening each length of cord just to try it out. ... So I wondered if a gadget or device exists where you can 'dynamically' shorten the cords to your desired length, with the ability to length them again if needed? ... In my mind, this might be like a clip that creates a small loop of varying size in the cord, that ends up with the effect of the shade being raised. The clip could be some classy metallic effect, to act as a nice thing to observe, or a black or white plastic to try and blend in..?
It's no more than a statement of the obvious, but if you just want to 'try it' (pending possible subsequent definitive shortening of the cables) can't you just improvise using tape or whatever to temporarily secure 'loops' in the cords? It won't look pretty - but nor, I imagine would any sort of 'fancy clip'.

Kind Regards, John

I would like the ability to be able to change it freely, afterwards... I don't want to be limited in a hard-wired kinda way. A fancy clip could easily look quite nice / classy... or be almost unobtrusive, depending on the design, I reckon.

So, have I 'invented' this? I am continuing my search...

I would like the ability to be able to change it freely, afterwards... I don't want to be limited in a hard-wired kinda way. A fancy clip could easily look quite nice / classy... or be almost unobtrusive, depending on the design, I reckon.
Fair enough.
So, have I 'invented' this? I am continuing my search...
Well, there are plenty of 'cable tidies' (have you searched for phrases like that?) around, most of which involving winding excess cable around something, but they are usually designed for handling much more 'excess cable' than you are presumably talking about (and are not usually designed to be aesthetically pleasing!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Most cable ties I've seen look a bit utilitarian, you're right. There appear to be plenty of strategies for headphone wires, usually involving braiding or an overhand knot (I think).

None of this is like what I have in my head... so the search continues.

I have improved upon my current too-low lights situation with zero spend.

I looped the end of the light fitting through the cord and created a loop which raised the height of the lights... I can now alter this as I need to. :oops:

It'll do, for now. It's quite unobtrusive.

I have improved upon my current too-low lights situation with zero spend. I looped the end of the light fitting through the cord and created a loop which raised the height of the lights... I can now alter this as I need to. :oops: It'll do, for now. It's quite unobtrusive.
Glad you've found a solution that you're happy with. Does that differ significantly from my original suggestion...
... can't you just improvise using tape or whatever to temporarily secure 'loops' in the cords?
... except that it sounds as if you may have got away with relying on friction, without even needing any tape?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back