PANASONIC THEATRE SOUND SYSTEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a panasonic sa-pt470 which stopped working, first was blowing mains fuse in plug but now has blown F1 on chassis; fuse is colour coded and cannot identify rating. I think the problem started with overloading speakers, have sorted that but need rating of fuse. Any help out there?
colour bands are yellow black red and a thicker blue[/b]

Sponsored Links
Yellow = 4
Black = 0
Red = 2x0 = 00

This is 4000mA fuse = 4A

The thick blue means medium speed blow.
Red is fast blow, green is slowblow.

One blown fuse, fine... but if it has blown several fuses then something more fundamental is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

Not sure I'll get a reply as this post is nearly 2 years old now.

Just wondered if you managed to fix your system? Looks like I'm having the same problem (internal fuse keeps blowing).

Cheers,

Mike

Try the easy steps to isolating the cause. Disconnect all the speakers.... Does it still blow the fuse?
No = problem with the speakers, so add one at a time and see which causes the fault. Once you found the faulty speaker then the hunt begins for a replacement*
Yes = problem with the main unit electronics. Could be a blown transistor. If you're not sure what a transistor is then it's probably time to take it to a repairer... or consider buying a replacement system*.

* These things are sold as complete kits. Spares are available but at horribly inflated prices. Either go second-hand or consider a new system. All-in-one kits with a built-in disc drive aren't the only game in town.

Consider a full spec home cinema system comprising of Blu-ray player + AV amp + speaker package. You can add an iPod dock as an accessory if required. This level of equipment performs better sonically. You can also mix 'n match if you decide to upgrade different components. There's also the bonus of not having to junk the entire system if just one component were to fail.

Have a look at RicherSounds and Super-fi. Both sell a good range of home cinema kits and can advise on combining disc players with amps and speakers.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
These things are sold as complete kits. Spares are available but at horribly inflated prices. Either go second-hand or consider a new system.

Id say definitely go second hand, you can get som much more bang for your pound...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi,
Hopefully I may get a reply.

So I too have a blown fuse, (Thick Blue)
A Question?
Do I have to replace with a multi coloured fuse or can I put a clear glass one in with the same spec ie T4AL250v

thanks

As long as the fuse is the same rating (amps), type (Fast/Slow blow), Voltage, and physical size then sure.

Here's a page about fuse ratings: http://www.slimlab.net/mirror/fusecolours/fusecolours.htm

Just a word of caution though; the fuse is the safety device/weak link that blows first to prevent more serious damage. They are an indicator that something else is wrong in the system. Find the cause of why the fuse blew out. Good luck

So changed the internal fuse, the exact same 4amp 250v, clear glass. Maplins said no difference.
Put new fuse in plug 5amp 250v.
Turned on.
Both fuses instantly blew with a big bang a big spark and a puff of smoke with the smell of burning.
Both fuses black!
So I can say this unit has had it.
There's second hand perfect condition complete units with speakers on ebay going for £50-60..
So I will go with that option.
Advise would be as said before, check unit for faults before just replacing main fuses.

Thanks for all replys and post.
Excellent forum.

This is 4000mA fuse = 4A

Sure? I thought the wide band is always read first so it's probably a 6.2 Amp fuse.
In any case, the fuse value MUST be printed close to its location in the equipment, by law, so there's no need to interpret the colours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back