Quick central heating question !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just a quicky. I have recently had a loft conversion with new bathroom so my property is now 2 storeys. I had a new condenser boiler fitted, new larger hot water cylinder, new motorised valve but original grundfos UPS 15-50 CH pump was re-used.

Here is the problem. New rad in loft bedroom and heated towel rail in the new en suite bathroom are not getting fully hot. Bottom of rads are hot, but top of rads are cool, and I have vented air from both rad bleed valves on numerous occasions, but this has failed to purge all the air out of these new rads and they still dont get fully warm from bottom to top. Also, when the CH switches on in the morning, (having been off overnight) I can hear loud rushing water noises in the radiator pipes in the loft bedroom. (the wife is moaning at me about this regularly!!)

The only time that I was able to fully vent air in the new heated towel rail was to switch off all other rads in the house. But as soon as I re-open the other rads in the house, the loft room rads cool down again. It seems that there just is not enough pump pressure in my system since the new loft room was built. We have brand new F&E tank in crawl space above loft room, as well as new cold water storage tanks. Other than an airlock in the new loft rads, is this a pump problem perhaps? Is it worth me checking/altering the 3 position impeller speed switch on my grundfos CH pump? HELP please !!

Sponsored Links
You need to look at the pipework and come up with a diagram....could be incorrect pipe layout and the systems drawing in air.

How can air be drawn into the system, unless the ball float valve in the F&E tank is not working? (which it is because I have already checked this).

I am not a plumber by the way. All the work was carried out by a gas safe local plumber, but before I call him back I just wanted some advice on what the problem is likely to be.

Is air always trapped in top floor rads when an airlock is present ? I have never had an airlock or noise in the CH pipes in the 15 years at my house until this recent loft conversion work.

Like I said, if I open the vent valve screw on the bathroom towel rail I can hear air escaping, but the hissing air noise stops after a few seconds and the rad never fully heats up at the top 1/3 of the rad. I think the bedroom rad is spurred off the bathroom towel rail feed and return, hence both rads have the same problem. Stuff doing diagrams !!

Sponsored Links
With an attitude like that no wonder you won't get any advice. :rolleyes:

Now fook off.

I placed a perfectly normal question, only to get short sarcastic comments.

Clearly my question was too technical for the so called experts on here.

Is this a trade only forum, or a diy/novice forum?

Everytime I have posted questions on this site I have never had a helpful answer. I guess all the plumbers think the general public are thick as **** diyers. I just want to know wheter the original CH pump is struggling with the extra head pressure of the rads in the loft room.

How hard can it be for you 'experts'??!!

anyone with genuine, kind and helpful central heating experience please feel free to respond.

Convert to a sealed system?

Gee thanks :evil:

What a helpful comment. f*****

That is a very helpful and technically correct solution!

Yet you , with no knowledge of plumbing or heating, respond in such a rude way to someone who was trying to help you.

Some of the human race amaze me!

Tony

Please explain then how his answer to my post is helpful to someone who is not a plumber or CH engineer? Why would I want to change my CH to a sealed system when I have just had a brand new 'conventional' boiler installed with brand new vented coffin tanks? If I wanted a sealed system I would have specified a system boiler?

It must be so great to be as clever as you heating experts................. :eek:

Can any of you muppets just give a few pointers to non technical non plumber non central heating people? If I said I was a 25 year old busty blonde bimbo you sun reading idiots would be doing your utmost to try and help me no doubt?

Yes !

Leaving the country permanently is about the only sensible option for him!

Most amazingly he has now stated that if he wanted a sealed system then he would have specified one!

Quite how anyone without any knowledge of heating can usefully specify anything escapes me!

If only he knew what a sealed system is then he would understand how it is the correct solution for his problems.

Tony

Perhaps he specified the coffins because he knew his heating system would die an early death?

Scotty, with the system off and motorised valve open in fill mode, when you bled loft radiator and towel rail, did water come out at all?

If there is no water coming out and still halfway up the radiator, either you have pipework problem or F&E not high up enough.

Or existing radiators is rusting inside.

Easy way is to convert heating system to sealed system fit a expansion vessel and PRV kit.
No need for system boiler. Still keep coffin tank, cylinder and etc. Only F&E tank to take out. I'm sure your new conventional boiler is suitable for sealed system. I am surprised your plumber didn't inform you about it.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back