Best way to hide pipes to towel rail radiator..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, back again...

I'm about to plump in a towel rail radiator in the bathroom. The pipes come up from under the floorboards, and i'm wondering what is the best way to go about it. I'm using plastic pipe, but have some copper pipe lying around if necessary.

Do i either...

1) Feed the plastic pipe vertically up from the floorboards straight into the radiator (using straight valves)
2) Feed copper pipe vertically up from the floorboards straight into the rad (straight valves)
3) Hide both pipes in the wall (somehow) in the center of the rad, and then come out of the wall and horizontally into either valve (angled valves)
4) Do some other funky more professional way...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you hide the pipework in the wall and then come out to minimise the amount of pipework you see, you really want to be soldering those joints, since you will not be coming back to them any time soon. From there I believe you can get decorative push on caps that will blend the pipes into the walls. These slide over the pipework and fix to the wall. From there you can add your TRV / lockshield and rad.

Personally, I don't see any issue with coming straight up from the floor boards with straight valves, although, for practical purposes, you may want to look into getting a lockshield with a built in drain, which you can get straight ones. Although, it is easier to get angled.

Since you already seem to know what it required, I guess it's what ever floats your boat and what you are going to be happy with afterwards.

Stems answer about finishing the plastic below the floor and coming up in chrome finish pipe sounds good.

Sponsored Links
Pipes in the wall insulated along their length to the exit point.
That allows movement and the other obvious benefits.
Then the valves fitted straight on.
Virtually no pipe exposed and fit the chrome escutcheon plates on the exit point.

Like this one I prepared earlier...
http://s26.postimg.org/qv1gnul61/Bathroom.gif

You can see the pipes in the bottom right hand corner.

Rail is set on packers to the correct level and plumb then the valves are fitted.
Then the holes are marked, rail removed, holes drilled, plugs inserted and rail re set on the packers, valves tightened, brackets screwed on, escutcheons snapped on and packers removed.
Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back