Plant Identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Was hoping someone could identify this plant. Its in my garden and spreading rapidly but I don't see it anywhere in the countryside that borders my garden so presume its not a weed. It looks quite good when it flowers so I was thinking of spreading it around to fill some gaps elsewhere but just wanted to make sure that I wasn't spreading around some invasive weed

Sorry, dont know why the pic has imported sideways!

[/img]

Thanks,
Kenny.

Sponsored Links
I'd say its a euphorbia of some sort. possibly grifithii but hard to say without the flowers

Hmm, those two would have been my guesses too. If you break a stem does it leak a milky white sap. If so, it's spurge/euphorbia. (Don't get the sap on your skin or near your eyes, it's a painful irritant.)

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks.

I searched both on the internet and Euphorbia amygdaloides 'Purpurea' looks like the closest. The plant is starting to get reddish around the leaves at the moment and then gets a yellow flourish of flowers later so it looks very like the example I found of the above. It doesn't seem to have much of a sap but maybe its just the wrong time of the year for that, although the inside of the stem is white.

I just wasn't sure if it was a weed or a garden plant but I don't suppose it matters as long as it looks good.

If it has yellow spring flowers its certainly a euphorbia. They are tough and quite invasive plants really and can spread quickly so take that into consideration if you plant it out.

There are some wilder types that get really bad but then some more cultivated varieties that are much more managable.

The flowers will help with a definate identification of the cultivar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back