ideal response 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having problems again with my combi boiler and have spent a lot of money in the past on repairs as this boiler make/model is poor as i know.

The fault i have is the the boiler fan does not come on with ignition sequence.

Have checked and there is power to the fan 24-28volts ac on all five wires going to the fan. The question i have is should there be voltage on all five wires or is there a problem with the fan speed controller to the fan.

Full details of boiler are-

Response 80G.C. Appliance No. 47 348 02 B.G. Certified - P.I. No.87 AS 93

Have checked ideals fault finding chart and information is replace fan and if that does not work replace fan speed controller pcb.

Have checked fan and get a motor resistance readings from the windings.

JUST NOT SURE IF YOU SHOULD GET 24-28VOLTS AC ON ALL FIVE WIRES GOING TOTHE FAN OR THIS A FAN SPEED CONTROLLER FAULT?

Any info welcome

Sponsored Links
As a DIYer you should not be opening the combustion chamber where the fan lives!

We are not alloweed to advise on gas/combustion work here.

Only in the CC area of this site which is restricted to Gas Reg people.

Advice is to get an RGI.

Tony

As a DIYer you should not be opening the combustion chamber where the fan lives!

We are not alloweed to advise on gas/combustion work here.

Only in the CC area of this site which is restricted to Gas Reg people.

Advice is to get an RGI.

Tony

totally agree with you there

only not doing any work myself volatage was taken from pcb not in combustion camber area.

just looking to find out if it is a PCB fault of fan fault?

Agile right bud, specially as the fan and fan speed board are DC voltage.. but you carry on poking around.. :eek:

But before you actually take a belt.. Check P29 of your instructions.. Little hint.. The thick solid line is 240vac, thin lines are resistances, low voltages or VDC depending on component..

Hence get someone in who knows, if you were peeing blood would you go poking around.. Don't think so.. You wouldn't touch

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response first of all Sir

Pleased that the voltage is then DC and not AC if that is the the case you have answered my question and i thank you.

Not sure about your quote " thin lines are resistances "?

Any electricians online who can explain this statement.

First of all i can confirm that the the boiler fan needed replace as the resistance reading was high across the winding of the old fan motor.

Fan was replaced as per fault finding chart and the boiler fan still never ran

Fault finding chart stated to change PCD 40 that supplies voltage to fan speed controller board which i did not think this to be correct and there was 26vac supply to the fan speed controller board.

Changed the fan speed controller board and everything is working again.

Can only think the fan speed control board failed and broke the fan?

Just thought i would pass the info on with a follow up post

Glad you managed to sort out your problem but I would certainly start saving your pennies for a replacement boiler , you will constantly throw money at this rubbish

When they work properly,the response is actually a good boiler,I think I'm right in saying that the heat exchanger is no longer available, but someone may correct me soon,you've had a good run,if it goes again,may be time to think of replacing it.

These models (as were most of Ideals combis) were a flawed design from the start. The heat exchangers are the main problem....the end casting gaskets fail leading to leaks onto the burner etc. The flue spigots also corrode. There should be an after market protection kit consisting of an overheat thermostat placed at the top of the combustion chamber to detect flue issues. Regular checking should be done but replacement is advisable.

Thanks for the info on the fault with the heat exchanger. Looking to replace it in the summer. Which boiler should i go for any suggestions.

There was an overheat stat kit which was being fitted to later ones under the warrantee.

Possibly only the 120 though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back