Data Logger

The CPC-Farnell PSU is a good choice it wouldn't need a full load to be 5 volts as the output is regulated

The MYRRA - 47121 - POWER SUPPLY, 2.5W 3.3VDC REG would give 3.3 volts and therefore ensure the input to the logger could not exceed 5 volts.

Sponsored Links
Listening to your ideas I have found this:
http://cpc.farnell.com/myrra/47122/.../dp/TF01427?in_merch=Products From This Range
If I am reading the spec on these items correctly they look as if they have a reasonably stable 5vDC output? Would u think these suitable?
A thought on not running thgis PSU open cct: ...... So if I fit a 9ohm 3watt or larger resistor across th o/p I have given it a load so the voltage should be more accurate than running open cct?
It would be a pity to waste power (albeit not much) heating up a resistor just to ensure that the PSU was loaded. As you say, the one you linked to is regulated, and therefore did not ought to go appreciably above 5V even if open-cct. However, as bernard has said, it would be more sensible to go with the 3.3V (regulated) 'sister' of the psu you found (click here) , in which case you could be certain that the voltage would never exceed 5V, even when open-cct.

The data sheet for these regulated PSUs (click here) says that the "Load output voltage variation" is 0.5%, which I take to mean that the voltage will not rise more than 0.5% above 3,3V (or 5V) even when completely unloaded.

Kind Regards, John

Thats brilliant thanks. I will order the bits & keep u posted on the results. Thanks for your input. If u ever have a heating issue please give me a shout!
Kim

Thats brilliant thanks. I will order the bits & keep u posted on the results. Thanks for your input.
You're welcome. The only potential issue with the power supplies you're looking at is that they are really designed for PCB (or, at least, stripboard) mounting- are you going to be able to deal with that OK?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thats brilliant thanks. I will order the bits & keep u posted on the results. Thanks for your input.
You're welcome. The only potential issue with the power supplies you're looking at is that they are really designed for PCB (or, at least, stripboard) mounting- are you going to be able to deal with that OK?

Kind Regards, John
Soldering with a blowtorch , a pot of flux & solder may be an issue lol. I often repair burnt relays & the like on pcbs so hopefully I will think of a way. Maybe that Maplin blank pcb (stripboard?) or maybe solder direct to some cable. I will put all four in a box ( with the four data log adaptors) with 4 x K type plugs for the input to the logger & a strip of terminal block for the 4 twin 220v inputs. Something along those lines anyway.

The pins are on a 5 mm matrix so would be "difficult" to fit on standard strip board which has 2.54 mm ( 1/10 inch ) matrix.

Remove the un-used strips adjacent to the strips connected to the mains as the separation between strips is not enough to ensure no creepage from mains to the next strip. If there are three un-used strips between the mains tracks then do not remove the middle one but connect it to earth ( assuming RCD or circa 1 amp fuse protecting the supply to the transformers )

two pins into adjacent strips .... not a problem

two pins into strips an inch apart then the 0.8 mm can be enough to stress the pins when pressed into the holes and soldered

two pins into adjacent strips .... not a problem ... two pins into strips an inch apart then the 0.8 mm can be enough to stress the pins when pressed into the holes and soldered
True, but I would be very surprised if, like me, you haven't been known to 'tweak' things, even when it's an inch apart (0.4mm, not 0.8mm, hence 0.2mm per pin) - one just has to be careful. Decades after 'metrication' hit us, this 2.50 vs. 2.54 issue remains quite common!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back