3phase problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help with this problem please?
I have just had delivered a professionally restored woodworking machine. It is a Wadkin 3 phase planer.
The company that restored it have done everything to bring it to new condition, and I am informed it works as it should. So for now maybe we will assume the machine is OK and the problem is me. :oops:

It has been re-wired and arrived with a 4 pin 32 amp plug. The problem is all my 3 phase machines have 5 pin plugs. I was told I could replace the 4 pin for a 5 pin plug, just don’t use the neutral pin, simply connect the three live wires and the earth, as some machines don’t need a neutral.

So I did that, but machine will not run, the motor starts momentarily, but will not run. My other machines work fine off the same socket.
I have had machines run in reverse when the phases are out, but not try to start and stop instantly.
But I moved the wires in the plug around anyway to switch around the phasing but it’s the same however it is wired. I can get it to try and start in forward and reverse, depends how I wire it.
What’s wrong please? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You are correct about the neutral not needed, PROVIDED the machine dont need it and correct regarding the rotation by swooping TWO wires
Sounds more like the machine
is there any safety quards stopping it running

You are correct about the neutral not needed, PROVIDED the machine dont need it and correct regarding the rotation by swooping TWO wires
Sounds more like the machine
is there any safety quards stopping it running

No it does not have anything to physically stop it running, it does not even have a brake. thanks.

Sponsored Links
More in the way of electical safety.
Ie stop buttons, emergency stops, and limit switches

Presuming it has a starter then the contacter wont hold in with any of the stops operated.
If wired right though they should not allow it to even try to start.
Hence proberly lectricians comment about holding in the start button

Maybe get a pic of the starter tomorow, it may be tripping the overloads on start current and then auto resetting

Probably a red herring but are you sure you have connected to the 3 Line pins and not 2 Line and the Neutral.

E N 1 2 3 on the plug is not the same order E N 1 2 3 as the socket. The plug is the mirror image of the socket,

Is the socket supplied through the starter on the wall? If so I expect it's the overload in there is set too low.

Presuming it has a starter then the contacter wont hold in with any of the stops operated.

Maybe get a pic of the starter tomorow, it may be tripping the overloads on start current and then auto resetting

I will take some pics of what I have tomorrow. Thanks.

Probably a red herring but are you sure you have connected to the 3 Line pins and not 2 Line and the Neutral.

E N 1 2 3 on the plug is not the same order E N 1 2 3 as the socket. The plug is the mirror image of the socket,

That thought went through my head early on, but I have checked and I am wiring up the plug as indicated, but I should check the socket tomorrow. But my other two machines use this socket ok.

Is the socket supplied through the starter on the wall? If so I expect it's the overload in there is set too low.

Thank you for your thoughts on this, but there is no starter on the wall, the socket is directly wired with armored cable from the consumer unit.

Have you checked you have 3 phases coming into the starter? Check each phase to earth (should be 240v) and then between each phase too (415v)?

You could also try disconnecting the load from the overload and see if the starter stays engaged then.

On some old DOL starters, the green press putton would directly press the contactor contacts in, until the hold on contact took over.

If ,as you say, you have connected the plug as advised by the refurbishers & your other machines work ok in the socket then it seems most likely to be a problem with the machine.

On some old DOL starters, the green press putton would directly press the contactor contacts in, until the hold on contact took over.

Yes it possibly is an older DOL starter, but I could hold the recessed green start button all day, after the initial motor kick, it's dead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back