Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can somebody advise me would it be OK to wire my fridge and freezer into one 3 pin plug ie 2 cables into one plug,There is only a single socket under the unit and as the flat is rented I can't change it to a double. if I use a 2 plug adaptor it makes the fridge stand out too far and I can't move the fridge as it's under kitchen units. Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, that won't be OK.

8872548958238.jpg

You can get special 13A plugs with multi flex outlets designed for use with computers. But they are not readily available.

I realise the instructions say do not use an extension lead but if short not really a problem.

Once one understands the reason then one can see there is no problem as long as extension is short. It's all down to start amps on the motor and with a long extension the volt drop can cause the motor to stall. There is a safety device but if operated on a regular basis it will weaken and in the end fail.

Manufacturers tend to just put in every instruction book do not use an extension lead even when the motor is inverter controlled and has no problem with volt drop anyway.

It is a problem as the flatter plugs have no finger protectors on them and can't be re-used. The single to double adaptors still stick out a little and the short extension with double socket outlets is against manufacturers recommendations but I would use the latter method.

Sponsored Links
The one to two gang converter
044_1104_SC03G_CONVERTA_large.jpg
is likely best option but that does require on to swap the socket. There are special thin plugs
R458566-51.jpg
I am sure I in the past found a plug designed to take 4 cables but can't now find them.

I can't find any rule about fitting two leads into a plug the problem is the cable grip but using common sense when selecting plug it should be no real problem.

However there is a rule against using an extension lead BS 7671 until June says we must follow manufacturers instructions and most fridge and freezers have an instruction they should not be used with an extension lead. Personally if short I see no problem but it still does break the rules.

However there is a rule against using an extension lead BS 7671 until June says we must follow manufacturers instructions and most fridge and freezers have an instruction they should not be used with an extension lead. Personally if short I see no problem but it still does break the rules.

Except that BS7671 applies to wiring installations, not appliances. Provided the extension lead or appliance are not "installed" they would not be covered by 7671.

Except that BS7671 applies to wiring installations, not appliances. Provided the extension lead or appliance are not "installed" they would not be covered by 7671.
Not only that but, even if BS7671 were relevant, I don't think that one has to 'wait until June' (1st July, actually) - AIUI, one is free to work to Amd3 of BS7671 now if one so wishes.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you for link this
R325596-91.jpg
is what I had remembered seeing. A would admit that with a standard plug there may be a problem with the cable clamp but still can't see why you would not be permitted two cables with any plug.

I had one some time ago, it had 3 extra long pins with four screw terminals per pin. The cables then exited through 4 separate cable cord grips. All protected by a single fuse.

I guess the only issue with two cables into a standard plug would be:
- can the two conductors (per pin) fit into the single terminals of a standard plug
- can the cord grip can successfully grip the two cables.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back