diy conservatory and base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi any one done one of these diy conservatory's with the durabase or similar? thinking of going down this road for our conservatory as it a lot less in cost and i am not worried about a bit of graft, one of my main concerns though is how to do the flashing at the top of the roof where it joins the house, so if anyone has done this i would be interested in some info on that part, thanks

heres a link to a build not sure if its against forum rules or not so if it is please just remove it thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Kvn427ZNo

Sponsored Links
Stepped flashings are relatively easy once you have done one before.

Stepped cavity trays - not so easy.

Whilst most conservatories resemble sheds in many ways, the one in the link is like a better version of a shed. I prefer mine to resemble an extension.

Performance wise I can't see it being all that different from any other conny. I thought the floor detail was poor in that I would bet the metal frame will bridge the cold and cause problems.

It started of badly then got worse.
If you dig a hole and drop a "foundation" block in it, you have not got a clue about what the block is sitting on - It could be a couple of pebbles 1/4" above the general surface, which will not be flat and won't be plumb. So over a couple of years the foundation block will sink leaving a springy floor, of course if you are unlucky, it could be that the front wall then starts moving.
Then you tighten up the frame jacks, are they all taking the same weight?, because the thing is empty, one or more could be sitting on a spike of the "celcon" foundation block that will crush leaving a jack foot blowing in the breeze.
Its a wonderful product for use over a single summer, but I doubt if you can return it and get your money back.
Frank

its got a baa approval so surely that would mean it would last longer than one summer? and its been around for over 5 years now and can not seem to find any bad reviews, plus surely a system like this would go out of business in this time if it did not work

Sponsored Links
these bases look to be around 3k anyone know how much it would cost to do a wall and base for an area of 3000mm x 5500mm

thanks

these bases look to be around 3k anyone know how much it would cost to do a wall and base for an area of 3000mm x 5500mm

thanks
A finished masonry base on that footprint i.e 3m x 5m x 3m finished up to DPC with tamped concrete sub base (75mm screed added later) and insulation etc would be around £3 - £3.5k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back