Filling a heating system with soft water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody here have any experience with areas of the Country with soft water, filling heating systems with soft water, and any chemical treatment?

Sponsored Links
Not loaded, most of my experience is in very hard water areas, I'm unsure of the consequences of filling a heating system (copper and steel) in an area of soft or very soft water. Wether it is a problem and if it is are there any treatments for it!

Thanks for your reply

Some manufacturers, particularly with Aluminium Silicone Heat Exchangers will not allow artificially softened water in their heating systems. As I understand it the excess salt would erode the casting. So best to double check with the boiler manufacturers.

Sponsored Links
The context is repairing a sludged, corroded system ie replacing pinholed radiators and boiler and being aware of the softness of the water plus no visible reasons for such heavy corrosion

Thank you for your reply, I guess the basis of my original post was in areas where the water is naturally soft what can you do?

you could ask Fernox and Sentinel what they recommend.

Presumably they have tested their products in various areas.

Good idea, might try kamco as well they have always been helpful too. Found it interesting as it's not been something I've really thought about before. With artificial soft water you can get around it with naturally soft water unless you pop down the cash and carry and buy bottled water (joke) you can't help but fill the system with it

if you wanted to badly enough, you could put a marble block in the water to harden it.

No issue from naturally soft water.

The issues that were seen were with artificially softened water, it was attributed to the processes used to soften the water and it's interaction with inhibitors designed to reduce scaling, any of the inhibitor left once all the calcium was absorbed through softening could react with the ally in the exchangers causing premature corrosion.

Newer inhibitors have been chemically changed and don't attack ally, as they now specify that they are OK for mixed metal systems, wasn't the case before.

Thank you rob, about the best reply I could have had, so I can carry on and put inhibitor in as usual.

Can I ask about where you learned this? And can I access it on the Internet?

Yes, just confirm that it's suitable for all mixed metal systems and guarantees no interaction with rubber or plastics, most are these days.

Yes, there were studies done by the industry and British Standards about premature corrosion in the 'newer' aluminium heat exchangers at the time and what was the actual cause, it was around 2007 I read it I think after the BS was updated. Should be available on the net I'M sure.
It turned out that the 'softened water shouldn't be used' term was just added to the BS at the behest of the inhibitor makers without any evidence, needless to say that was challenged and proven to be wrong and the BS was re-written etc.
Again though, this is only relative to artificially softened water, naturally soft water isn't an issue as it doesn't have calcium to start with or it's filtered out and not chemically altered in a softener.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back