Cheap Way To Heat Barn Conversion?

I suppose that we have been through every reasonable option with the OP and the only option that he seems to like is electric....so how about a nice Milwaukee electrically heated coat....?

Sponsored Links
The OPs completely irrational and I predict a shambles of a system :)

Explain why I am irrational?

I am asking what options are available and I can understand you guys wanting to 'push' your own business, but this is to heat my home not line your pockets.

Sponsored Links
Your OP states that you don't want the expense of Renewables as you will be selling the property on so put in OIL it would be the cheapest option and cheaper to run than LPG or Electricity never mind the RHI - you won't be there to reap the rewards ;)

Go for ground source heat pump with UFH and receive 18.8p/kWh RHI cash.

Ground source heat pumps lose a lot of efficiency when its freezing. So this would not be good for us. Thanks anyway.

Nope...you're wrong on that one! Unless you live in an area with permafrost the heat extractable is broadly the same all year for a GSHP.

It's an AIR source heat pump that loses efficiency when the AIR temperature is below freezing.

I can derstand you guys wanting to 'push' your own business, but this is to heat my home not line your pockets.
How does that work? If that's your perception of people who will never meet you or sell you anything, then forget trying to engage anyone for real. This is a free advice forum, no-one makes anything out of it. Hopefully you'll find someone to give you what you want FOC.

Brother has ground source HP in his 4000sq-feet new build and a harrie leender pharos ceiling suspended wood stove which heats the large open plan hallway.
His hot water generation can use the field loop or the UFH loop as the collector.
Thus in summer time it will provide a degree of cooling to the slabs which are on both levels.

Five in his gaffe and usually a couple of student lodgers from the continent.
His electric bill for the whole house varies between 1200 and 1500 euro per year.

Nope...you're wrong on that one! Unless you live in an area with permafrost the heat extractable is broadly the same all year for a GSHP.

Ground source depends on there being heat in the ground!

The first problem is that you need a smaller field available to dig up to install the heat collection loops.

Have a longer cold spell and you can end up freezing the ground !

Tony

Ground source depends on there being heat in the ground!

The first problem is that you need a smaller field available to dig up to install the heat collection loops.

Have a longer cold spell and you can end up freezing the ground !

Tony

The ground area for the coils is undersized...

We are doing a barn conversion, it is 180m2 in total and I am wondering what the most cost effective method of heating is including hot water. We are in the Fens, so main gas is out the question.

Do we need a hot water tank? Or would individual heaters under the sinks that do provide hot water to taps, would they be sufficient for a bath?

Had so many set backs with this, we have looked at renewable but the initial investment is too expensive, as we plan on selling the place once completed.

Any ideas? Thanks

I pity the poor person who buys your hash up of a barn....I'm curious, why are you so concerned with the running costs of oil and LPG when you are going to sell the property? Or are you saying that a proper wet system will be too dear for you to put in?

i suspect the op has had quotes for different systems and they have been way more than what he thought and is looking for a cheap solution, of which he will have trouble finding.
his original idea was undersink water heaters :LOL: :LOL:
a barn conversion property isn't exactly going to be sold for peanuts, so invest in it properly op. how would you feel if you brought a aston martin and someone put a vauxhall corsa engine in it :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back