Occasional welding bench top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am thinking of using a cast iron manhole cover on a paving slab for occasional 100A arc welding, is this OK please.

Sponsored Links
Sure, but it's always worth connecting the earth clamp directly to the object to be welded......effectively, any bench top will do, sparks and the odd burn aside!
John :)

I've been sort of promising myself a welding bench for the little bits that need a dab of weld for ages. Manhole cover isn't a bad idea for the top!
As John says, you'll still want the earth on the workpiece though. Makes a surprising difference if you grind a spot clean for the clamp as well.

I just use my well charred Workmate :p
Still get mild shocks if I'm welding trailers and so on in the wet, with wet overalls......doesn't half tickle you up until the arc strikes fully :D

Sponsored Links
I just use my well charred Workmate :p
Still get mild shocks if I'm welding trailers and so on in the wet, with wet overalls......doesn't half tickle you up until the arc strikes fully :D
That's exactly what I use. I made an oak top for it from some spare I had a bit back. It's got one or two really good burns on it now though as well as the general speckles. :) I think my Workmate came from Woolworths in 1984! :)
Can get quite a decent shock off the old welder if you get 'twixt electrode and earth in the wet. :eek:
I get a bit paranoid about welding in the garage though these days. All those corners with accumulated stuff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back