This might be a good story to polish off…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m normally one of the biggest worriers when it comes to safety, which obviously is no bad thing. Still I recall a moment my over-precaution could have come quite in handy; polishing aluminium.

My friend said I should try and use this fairly high standard polishing machine he’d had for a while. I don’t think proper protection is his main concern; I can’t tell if the few close scrapes actually made him more confident, but regardless he gave me these awful, tatty gloves to wear whilst I worked.

The result was me getting part of the material caught in the machine, which tried to pull my whole hand in. Luckily he stopped in time for me just to receive a slight sprain that lasted a week or so. Naturally I don’t blame him for what was really my oversight, but yeah I try to do all my polishing by hand…maybe just as a way of saying I’m lucky to have it :D

Sponsored Links
That was a pretty dumb stunt with the lathe - very lucky outcome.

When I was at school we came close to a serious accident in the metalwork shop. Someone was turning, and although he wasn't using it, had the crossfeed drive (or could have been leadscrew) engaged - my guess is that someone had been using it and forgot to disengage it when done.

At some point there was a shout, the workshop E-stop got hit. Then we watched as the teacher partially dismantled the machine (removed the end bearing block) to remove almost all of someone's apron which was wrapped round it. When the E-stop got hit, IIRC his neck was only a few inches off the lathe bed and being wound in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back