Public Speaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve always had an interest in different forms of public speaking going through school and college. Stuff like debating, speech writing and even done a little bit of stand-up comedy too…mixed results with all to be honest, but great fun when it goes right.

A local club near me actually has an open mike night in a genuine sense; you sign up with a pre-written presentation on anything (mine is an introduction to epistemology, a field of philosophy surrounding how we know anything).

It’s quite a rare function to have, at least where I live, so I was just wondering what other people get out of doing a bit of public speaking, and what they think makes you good at it!

Sponsored Links
I used to do public speaking, I did the LAMDA exams, got from grade 3 through 7 and onto silver medal. Mostly speaking verse and prose rather than actually presenting. There was a lot of theory too at the higher grades, learning how to project your voice etc.

I lost interest as I got older and discovered cars, girls, and alcohol. It did however stand me in good stead for interviews where I was required to give a presentation, and then later on in my role as a national training manager conducting training sessions.

Can't honestly say I do it for recreational purpose anymore. Interesting to hear about the open mike night, sounds like there could be lots of interesting talks/presentations.

It's a funny old thing but in spite of my day job involving public speaking ad nauseum, i still get nervous speaking within a group my peers.

Sponsored Links
To be good at public speaking is a very impressive skill to have and one that will benefit in many walks of life. I find it nerve wracking and would love to be better at it.

Back