cracks rapidly appearing and spreading all over home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone can give me some advice please? I have these cracks rapidly appearing around my home, the council have been to look and say its just the plaster and they will fill them but i still can't help feel concerned for my familys safety.

Iv filled the minor cracks once already, these were upstairs and only in 2 rooms, within 6 weeks they had reappeared, now they are rapidly growing and spreading around everywhere, down the stairs and in the down stairs rooms, iv also got what i can only explain as like pot holes in my landing floor and its very unsteady.
You can literally see the change in the cracks on a daily basis and some if the ones i found in the cupboards are huge, i honestly dont think a bit of filler is gonna be a long term solution and i am not convicted it is nothing to worry about.

Iv uploaded some pics some dont do the cracks justice because of the flash but iv shown as much as i can, could people please tell me there input on it as i need to stop worrying if its harmless :) thankyou

Sponsored Links
More detail needed- is it a brand new house or one that's recently been converted/altered/decorated. Any building work going on nearby?

Generally vertical and horizontal cracks like that aren't anything disastrous. The landing floor sounds more intriguing but from the photos you're only looking at 5 mm ish which isn't enough to cause structural worries.

I'm thinking you've had central heating installed fairly recently- the cracking will be walls drying out, the potholes will be where the joists have been notched for pipes and the floorboards not supported properly round the notches when they've been relaid.

Hi thanks for ur replies,
I live in a 1st floor maisonette that was built in 1966 so not new build, there has been no building work going on had the roof re-tarmacked last year that's about it.
There were a few small cracks that i had filled a few months ago and painted not long before xmas, them cracks had been there a while maybe about 8 months that was only diwn the corner of one room and 1 across the hallway wall, obviously those cracks have re copened and its spreading all over upstairs and now working its was down the stairs, the spreading and the hallway floor has suddenly started so could be something gradual happening since the first sign of cracking i don't no.
Iv just measured the largest crack and it's just over a cm the next biggest ones are 8mm and the rest are a few mm at the moment but are gettin wider

Sponsored Links
that appears to be a ceiling:wall crack.

Is anything heavier than a Christmas tree stored in the loft?

Are there any other cracks you can show us?

has there been any building or roofing work recently?

Has your neighbour underneath had heating fitted recently ? Have they bought the place and removed loads of walls :eek: . You're not in any danger - worst thing I ever saw was a DIY removal of a whole corner of G/F of house :rolleyes: But even then the roof stayed put - was so long ago I couldn't take a pic with a mobile phone - Polaroid maybe ;)

Kirsty, you refer to a new tarmac roof being done.....what was on there before?
I must suspect that the weight of the new roof covering is too heavy for the beams supporting it.
Cant think of anything else!
Lets have a pic of the pot holes in your landing, please!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back