faulty relay and mot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My vauhall mariva has a fault on the nearside indcator. Sometimes it flashes super quick, works fine when hazards are On. No bulbs out. I think it's the relay (nightmare to get to to replace ). I'm struggling for time to replace it before MOT.
Would it fail on this.

Sponsored Links
If you leave the indicator on, play with the wires you might be able to vary the flash rate, probably behind on the the indicator lights. Don't start at it 20 minutes before the test ........
One side or both sides?

If you leave the indicator on, play with the wires you might be able to vary the flash rate, probably behind on the the indicator lights. Don't start at it 20 minutes before the test ........
One side or both sides?

Only happens on passenger side. Driver side fine.
hazards work fine , it's only when you put left flashers on, it has the fault. Sometimes it's fine then every few seconds it races then back to normal
No bulbs out.

Sponsored Links
You're absolutely certain when the flash rate is fast, all of the bulbs are working at that time? Strange one!
I guess it could be the relay, but I've never had one fail in this way before.
John :)

It's deffo the relay, very common on Corsas & Meriva's! It's abit of a pain unscrewing the relay box cover but not that bad. Oh & it's the yellow relay :)

I would have thought you are loosing a bulb now and again ..........

My BMW 323Ci does exactly the same. Flasher (either) starts off at double-quick rate and then stabilises. Occasionally, it will revert to double rate for a second or two and then return to normal. ALL lamps are illuminating so it has to be the flasher unit/relay.

Me first! :cool:
This has got to be the forum at its best! I wonder what makes a relay behave like that electrically?
John :)

Providing the system is good i.e. no dodgy connections, broken tracks on the PCB where things have shaken out, electrolytic capacitors haven't dried:

The older type used to work with an IC that looked at the voltage across a very small resistor, somewhere in the order of 0.03 ohms. The indicator lamps and relay contacts wired in series with these. As ohms law states, V = IxR the current flowing through the resistor creates a voltage across it. If you have a pair of 21w lamps then you'll have around 3.5A flowing so the voltage across said resistor is 0.1v. With only 1 lamp this voltage will drop to 0.05v. The IC will detect this reduced voltage and do what it is supposed to do to show there is a problem.

Some newer cars have a stupid system whereas it is all part of a control box that costs a fortune if it goes wrong!

Chuck ( the OP )?

Have you tried replacing the bulbs?

My techi mind says that the flasher unit monitors the current so that if it thinks that one bulb is failed and it flashes fast to alert you.

Bulbs lose metal from the filament and its deposited on the inside of the glass bulb causing it to go dark.

As metal is lost the filament becomes thinner and consequently higher resistance so takes less current.

So may advice is to replace the bulbs!!!

Or if you are exceptionally mean just change right to left and left to right and see if the fault becomes on the other side.

Tony

Further to my post above, the problem was getting worse, especially with the offside indicators. The hazard lights, however, were never a problem. I found some posts on various fora which all pointed to bad connections on the rear lamp clusters, especially the earth. I removed the lampholder assemblies and there were signs of overheating at the earth contact. So I drilled a small hole in the earth bars on the cluster and attached a wire which went to earth on one of the cluster mounting screws. Result? Everything back to normal.

Thus, the fault had to be a high resistance on the (standard) earth connection which was sufficient to confuse the lighting control module (which controls the rate of flash (if my info is correct)), but not enough to trigger a fault.

Sponsored Links
Back