Do I need a new roof?

Ok. First quote has come in now. This is a recommended chap. He said he would want scaffold to do the repairs and any overhaul so suggested we go for removal of the existing roof, then replace but using existing tiles, replacing where needed.....

Scaffold front and rear of property.
Skip on drive for a couple of days.
Materials delivered on drive (could we please store in garden if needed).
Strip one elevation at a time.
Fit eps system.
Lath and felt, with a breathable membrane and tanalised .
Change all lead soakers to dormer s.
The two chimneys need all lead work changing. Back gutters, soakers, flashings and aprons.
Replace velux window flashing kit
Tile back in checking tiles thoroughly, discarding any broken or damaged.

Labour £1300
Skip £150
Scaffold £900
£2350

Materials
775 x Marley plain tiles antique brown £213.67
13 x Marley plain t half antique brown £7.41
24 x Marley plain eaves antique brown £6.49
650 x lath tannalised 38x25 £182.00
2 x cromer vent 3 classic 1m x 50m roll £58.00
3 x lead 6" code 3 150mm 6m roll £83.85
2 x lead 6" code 4 150mm 6m roll £79.56
1 x lead 9" code 4 240mm 6m roll £63.43
2 x 65x3 1kg galvanised nails 282 per kilo £4.90
2 x Alu nails 38mmx3.35g per kg bag of 989 £12.86
1 x velux flash kit £50
2 x chimney gutter backs £150
Materials total £1054.96

Grand total £3404.96

Sponsored Links
So, he's saying there are 770+ damaged tiles, the tiles must be in pretty poor condition if that's the amount damaged on a roof of this size.

I did query that. He said he over estimates and bases it on needing to change around 20%. Even so 770 seemed a lot.

Approx how many tiles are on the whole of our roof? I wonder if there is some screwy maths in there somewhere.

His calculation of 20% loss equaling 775 tiles equates to your roof being 65sq m.
Him working on 20% loss is pretty standard for estimates on a roof with decent, re-useable tiles. Which brings me back to the question "does it really need re-roofing?" If the answer is yes then this suggests the batons or nails are shot.

Sponsored Links
Like I say the two or three I have had look have all said the same. By the time I add up the costs of fixing the various issues (all the flashing, ridges, replacing all the damaged tiles) I won't be far off the cost of a strip and replace. Then I get the benefit of having new batons, felt and hopefully a problem free roof for a number of years.

I am still waiting on another couple of recommended roofrs to come and look, so will wait for that before making any decisions.

Don't forget a guarantee is only as good as the installer and only as long as he is in busines, it may be worth looking into an insurance backed scheme.

A re-roof is definitely your best option, not only for peace of mind but for re-sale, one less item for a surveyor/buyer to use as a bargaining chip.

Good luck, with whatever you decide.

Cheers terry. Reroof with existing tiles ok?

I will come back when I have a few quotes for comparison and any advice I need.

As long as the tiles have plenty of life in them, enough to outlive the guarantee(10 years?)at least 3 fold then yes, it's ok to re-use them. I cannot see a decent roofer wanting to risk his reputation on sub-standard materials.

Had another roofer today. A quick verbal quote of £6-£8k to replace using as many existing tiles as possible. Then there's the smaller single storey extension roof on top, perhaps another £1k

The other roofer that gave the earlier quote has asked for £650 all in for the smaller roof. This is for removing everything, fitting a bonding gutter as there are two slightly different heights bodged together at the moment and creating a verge.

I have managed to get a quote for the scaffold at £400, so that makes that first quote I posted £3550 for the two roofs, all inclusive.

Would it be worth asking (and am I likely to get) a discount on the materials from the supplier? Or is the list if materials prices I have been given good and possibly already including a discount the roofer has negotiated?

We get discounts as a thank you for giving the suppliers our orders, we work very hard to obtain decent discounts(spending hundreds and even thousands of £'s per month)
If your builder/roofer passes on those discounts or part of then that's up to him.
You won't get the sort of discounts we do and the supplier will not divulge those discounts or at least they shouldn't.

Ok. That makes sense.

Do the materials prices listed in the quote above look reasonable? Is there anything I should ask to change or upgrade? Thinking of the tiles (are there other options to match out current tiles or is the Marley plain the best option), and felt?

Missing off that materials list is the guttrer backs for the chimneys, a nee velux flashing kit and materials for the EPS system. Oh and the bits for the second roof.

I am swaying towards that quote at the moment. It seems like a decent price, the lad comes recommended and it seems a pretty comprehensive job?

Those prices for materials are reasonable and nowhere near excessive nor is the labour.

You can't beat recommendations as long as they are for the same type of work.

Thanks. Am putting together a list of questions I have for the roofer that I am going to email. He seems quite happy to answer my queries by email. Hopefully I won't annoy him by asking too many questions.

Is there anything specific you think I should be asking?

My list so far....
How long will the job take?
What size skip and for how long?
Ask for extra quote for repointing front chimney (am thinking this might be best looked at while scaffold is up)
Will you tidy up the guttering as part of the EPS fitting?
What guarantee do you offer?
On the materials order, I don't see any materials for the EPS?
Can I have one single quote to cover both roofs and the materials quote for the second roof?
I am not sure what, if any insulation is in the roof (as the roof is a bedroom) could some be added if required? Cost of this?

Cheers for all the help so far. Just trying to get everything right and make sure we get everything done and done right while the scaffold is up.

Ask him as many questions as you feel fit, imho the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
I prefer potential clients to ask before rather than after, when it's too late.

Ask him as many questions as you feel fit, imho the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
I prefer potential clients to ask before rather than after, when it's too late.

Well he has sent a full written reply to my questions and they are all good. With it being a decent quote I am half tempted to go for it. I am waiting for two more quotes and one more recommended roofer to come and have a look (if he ever gets back to me).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back