Fixings for lighting bar into ceiling above? (50KG load)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to mount a 2.4 meters long section of 50mm x 25mm mild steel box section into the ceilings joists where it will support about 50kg of disco/stage lights. I also can't easily get above the ceiling due to a room above.

There also needs to be about 100mm between the top of the box section and the ceiling.

The M12 x 250mm coach bolts here: http://www.tradefixdirect.com/screws-accessories/coach-screws/bzp-coach-screws would do; but are rather expensive at £20 when I only need about 4 or 5.

Any ideas; Are Rawlbolts sutiable for hanging heavy loads from the ceiling?

Edit: My joists are about 40mm wide.

Sponsored Links
Coach screws are what you need here.....so long as you can screw directly into the ceiling timbers.
Are you going to use a tubular spacer, or something to provide you with the gap you need?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Expanding bolts are really for masonry.....coach screws are what you need, for that sort of weight.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sure, so long as you hit the joists! Forgive my caution, but that sort of weight crashing down is best avoided!

Sure, so long as you hit the joists! Forgive my caution, but that sort of weight crashing down is best avoided!

Especially when it will be directly above my bed! (i'm serious)

Whether it's a 13kg Moving head above my bed or above a stage, you just as doomed if it falls and lands on your head.

I will be hanging these + a couple of led par cans. (see photo)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back