A silly billy question

Sponsored Links
Do you have make/model of the toothbrush. Or have BS number of plug type. I am sure the BS number being spoke of in earlier posts, relates to three (round) pinned plugs. But I stand to be corrected, although I am in fighting mood!

Sponsored Links
If the toothbrush cable is very thin you may have some difficulty getting the cable grip in the plug to grip it properly, you may have to thread a rubber sleeve over it first to give it more bulk.

I have, in the past, found it useful to remove the screws and invert the cable grip before re-attaching. They are often curved to account for normal cables, and inverting the curve makes for a better grip of thinner cables.

Bloody hell, Dextrous. I'd have just fitted a three-pin plug (with a small fuse) by now.

It's not sprocket science.

No, it's socket science.
roflmao.gif

http://www.rapidonline.com Order Code: 23-0300

Shaver adaptor, Fused Type, 230V Voltage Rating, 13A Current Rating, A 13A Plug Style Adaptor for 230V, Electric Shavers, Electric Toothbrushes, and other Low Power Appliances, Which have 2 Flat or Round Pins, the Adaptor is Approved to BS1363/3 Fitted with a 1A, 20mm Fuse
•The adaptor is approved to BS1363/3 fitted with a 1A, 20mm fuse
•For suitable replacement fuse, see order code 26-2475, in Fuses & circuit breakers section

A bit chunky maybe but well made and properly fused.

Bernard, I've got one of those, but find it a rather unattractive feature :( I've tried hiding it under a towel, have painted it, have put a vase in front of it and tried it in several different sockets around the house. Alas, it jars aesthetically and has to go :mrgreen:

The funny thing is that, as a kid, I used to put three and two pin plugs on many things since some of the rooms in my house used to have a 2 pin socket as an integral feature of the wall mounted light switch (remember those little beauties? :LOL: ) and we had to use two and three way adaptors and long flexes to power things up. Happy days indeed, especially getting numerous shocks from the ancient lead covered cables with the cloth covered inner cores :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I guess that I'm just being overly cautious and assuming that modern appliances such as a toothbrush might involve newfangled electrickery thingies which may require something odd going on. Evidently not :LOL: :LOL:

Edit- I assume BAS has nearly finished compiling his list of links in readiness to belittle me by his usual desultory war cries ;) Bring it on, I is a ready for you with my trusty slingshot :LOL: :LOL:

Good Morning Dextraneous

I am probably over cautious about changing plugs but with good reason. Some years ago a work colleague changed a two pin plug on a night lamp for a three pin. The lamp never worked again, there was a capacitor in the two pin plug that was the main current limiting component for the lamp.

It was cheap imported lamp and I don't expect that sort of thing in equipment from reputable manufactures but never take it for granted.

Many years ago it was common for the mains lead for a valve radio to have a resistive conductor as well as Live and Neutral. This resistive conductor was a dropper "resistor" in series with the heaters of the valves. Reduce the length of the mains lead and the valves glowed brighter, too short and they burnt out.

Good morning to you too. Since I have a spare charger, I think I'll dismantle one plug and unit using my handy stanley knife (having completed a suitable risk assessment first ;) ) and nail scissors. This should help me make an informed choice, as is the parlance of such matters :LOL: :LOL:

Edit - having now managed to butcher the aforementioned plug with only a minor couple of gashes and minimal blood loss, I can confirm that this BS4573 plug is as simple as Jack McSimple, as indeed I am too :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back