Student accomodation

As these sockets would need to be RCD protected.

I would provide a 20A RCBO-protected radial for each. Then one student's faulty hair dryer doesnt black out the rest!

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your insight and helpful comments. Very much appreciated. Agreed your all correct, I think we were both just trying to be over cautious as we never went to uni (told you i was simple) but I've heard how crazy some students are, just covering our backs I guess, you never know when a student got the console running while doing their hair and trying to do the hoover at the same time! but yes, realistically they wont exceed anywhere near 20A unless they start using the house for a marijuana grow! :D

Many thanks again. JayJay

And if they do they'll bypass everything from the service fuse onwards anyway.

Sponsored Links
I recall back when I was at uni we had metered sockets - 2 in the whole room IIRC ! But we also had (in the older rooms) one or two 2A sockets on the lighting circuit (not metered). Needless to say, being a bit of a tight-a**e, I worked out how much I could run on 2A - which included a 500W immersion 'kettle' I found at Woolies.

Ah yes....me to! 2 x 2A round pin sockets in the room & a 5' quickstart florrie fitting. Soon found out that each pair of rooms shared the lights & 2A sockets on a 5A MCB.

I managed to find a small 500W oil filled radiator in one of the second hand shops in Birmingham, served me well through my 2 years in Uni Halls :)

We weren't metered, but the storage heating was pathetic.

So as we weren't metered we adopted a form of central heating (these were 5-bedroom purpose-built student flats.)

Leave the oven door, kitchen door and bedroom doors open, and whack the oven on full. In a cold snap it could be like that for several days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back