Caulk - best product

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have gaps (maybe 2-3mm wide, no idea how deep) in the frame around our front door and also around windows and I have seen that one of the best ways to seal is to use caulk. Is there a product out there that anyone would recommend, I have seen No Nonsense, Evo-Stick and a couple of others but some get mixed reviews.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I've heard and read very good things about Soudal Acryrub and off the back of that have just bought myself a tube ready to use tomorrow so I'll soon be able to report back with my own experiences, however it's supposed to be very flexible, easy to sand and most importantly be overpaintable without the paint cracking.

http://www.sealfix.co.uk/SOUDAL-Acrylic-310ml

Thanks for the suggestion, would be nice to know how you get on. I have read somewhere that acryrub may be for gaps 5mm and bigger? Also, whats the difference between that and the caulk?

Cheers

I'll soon find out how it copes with smaller gaps as all of the ones I need to sort out are less than 5mm. :LOL:

I've never used it before and am going off positive feedback and information found here:
http://traditionalpainter.com/painting-attention-to-detail-with-joints
http://traditionalpainter.com/why-does-paint-craze-over-caulk

Have a read of those and they'll answer your questions about how it differs from run-of-the-mill acrylic caulk, but it sounds like the main differences are that it's siliconised, more flexible and has lower VOC content.

Sponsored Links
Just an update on this. I went with the No Nonsense products from Screwfix (along with the No Nonsense gun) - cost about £4 in total and so far seem to have worked a treat.

Cheers.

I finally got time to do my caulking last night but still haven't got round to overpainting it yet as some other prep work took much longer than hoped. I'll update when I do as the Soudal stuff I used only cost £1 for a tube, but I can say that as of this morning it's coped fine with gaps ranging from probably <1mm up to not far off 1cm. Still plenty of time for it to go belly up though so I'm reserving full judgment for now :)

Any caulk will appear to "work" when you use it - its how it is after a month or more that counts. The soudal stuff doesn't seem to flow as well as some, and it seems to shrink quite a bit some time down the road. That's my experience anyway.

B&Q sell a Soudal product which is very watery and every time I've applied it, it's been rubbish. I took some back for a refund.

I like the blue tubes of Polycell stuff. Quite thick, very white and lasts.

B&Q sell a Soudal product which is very watery and every time I've applied it, it's been rubbish. I took some back for a refund.

I like the blue tubes of Polycell stuff. Quite thick, very white and lasts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back