Can you buy spare Fobs for electrically operated Garage Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving into a home this week and it has an electrically operated garage door. The old lady that lived there previously passed away and the estate agent only has 1 fob that operates the door.

Am I able to buy a spare fob?

Can I reset the old fob in case a family member has one and can open my Gargae door in the future?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can buy additional fobs
Do a search on Google and you will be spoilt for choice

Most remote openers can be reprogrammed but not all
Have a look on u tube or again a Google search to find out if you can

If you have the destructions you may well find the answer there

You can also buy a new receiver and a couple of fobs for around £35 off eBay. Plenty on there. You can add fobs as needed. My old Garador setup was slowly getting worse and worse, and I replaced it last year. It was dead easy to wire up. The chap I bought it off was very helpful, and replaced a faulty fob as well.

Thanks both for the replies.

No destructions unfortunately for anything at this property.
I cannot even find a brand name on the fob or the receiver in the Garage.

I will have a read on Google and see if I can find out anything.

Sponsored Links
As I said you can get a "kit" all made up in boxes, with a separate plug in power supply for around £35. Two X two button senders with batteries. In my case I just connected it across the wall button. But connection will probably depend on the type of door you have.
When we first came here the garage remote was missing. I tried to get the "proper" one, but was told they were silly money, and I bought a kit with the receiver and sender button then. That had dip switches in it to set the code. Not secure these days. The new ones use a "rolling" code that changes each time.
If your receiver has a row of little switches in it, if I were you I'd change to for the new type anyway.

Looks similar to this one (use translate)
It looks as if it's a Dipswitch / non rolling code
So you should be able to use this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cloning-Universal-Gate-Garage-Remote-Control-Fob-433mhz-/230606653557

or this claims to be a replacement for some Elca Aster remotes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELCA-ASTE...Universal-remote-control-keyfob-/330709245740

I'd say they were both the same unit pretty well, so either could be worth a punt, but I obviously can't say either will definitely work.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank-you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

This one looks the same too, for that price it is definitely worth a try.

Bit of a hijack, but could anybody please explain how Ican tell whether my fob is a fixed or rolling code and will the universal fobs work in both cases?
Fob prices seem to vary from £3 to £40

Far as I know Tony, which is only really what I picked up when looking for myself, the original fixed code type will have a row of dip switches (little tiny switches, probably numbered) inside to set the code. So will the receiver. The clone type linked to above will only work with the fixed code type as I understand it. I assume that the cloning type needs an original one to take the code off.

The rolling code type won't have the dipswitches, but the type I have has a button on the receiver board to allow the fob to be set to the receiver.
Looking on eBay it appears there are cloning fobs for the rolling code handsets as well.

Personally I wouldn't pay £40 for one unless perhaps it was an actual OEM one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back