bathroom tiling under floor heating advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon

I am about to try my first tiling project and just wanted to check with those wiser than me if I have got anything wrong before I begin.

I am tiling a 2.3m x 2m bathroom floor with black ceramic slate effect tiles 60cm x 30cm.

I am planning on boarding using 6mm “no more ply” fixed at 200mm centres with countersunk 25mm screws and stuck with the recommended high grip adhesive, I will tape the joins and prime the lot with the recommended primer (all from tile giant).

I am planning on fitting  a prowarm 2m underfloor heating mat onto the “no more ply” boards, I was then planning on using (very carefully) a 10mm plastic tile trowel to lay the tiles straight onto the boarding and heating matt  with a solid bed of adhesive. Is this trowel / adhesive depth sufficient for this application?

Does this sound about right (I know you can lay a SLC layer to make the tiling easier) but I have also heard if you are careful this is not necessary.

I am planning to use a flexible adhesive suitable for bedding undefloor heating and a flexible grout.

Any advice / anything sound like a disaster?

Also could anyone recommend a good quality flexible adhesive for this job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with your plan at all apart from the solid bed - no real need to do this, you can just use a normal notched trowel and ensure full coverage. solid bed is usually reserved for fully wet areas, external fixing etc.

Taping the joints and priming is fine, but unless its a wetroom is probably overkill.

The self leveller is suggested when using UFH loose wire system, some prefer to do this, some dont. - IMO for a matt based system your better off going directly onto it. obviously fix the matt using the manufacturers instructions.

if your buying from tile giant then mapei keraflex or pro flexible are ideal, with keraflex being the better choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back