Am I being harsh on this plumber?

Are you sure it wasn't you that installed it Tony??? :rolleyes:

Sounds like it doesn't it? I've already told him that if it can be done for a low price like he suggests I won't be going down the court route.

I'm not convinced I've seen any evidence in this thread that a low price option exists which would satisfy the warranty in any case. I think the solution has the be physically running the correct cabling.

We got it in writing that the manufacturer would except a pump over run timer as along as it was noted on paperwork, boiler and set to run longer than their own time.
(Listed building that physically couldn't be altered internally to amend wiring, customer supplied boiler and we do like to cover our aris)

So I'll repeat what was put pages ago, pump over run timer and it's cheap and simple.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it wasn't you that installed it Tony??? :rolleyes:

Sounds like it doesn't it? I've already told him that if it can be done for a low price like he suggests I won't be going down the court route.

I'm not convinced I've seen any evidence in this thread that a low price option exists which would satisfy the warranty in any case. I think the solution has the be physically running the correct cabling.

We got it in writing that the manufacturer would except a pump over run timer as along as it was noted on paperwork, boiler and set to run longer than their own time.
(Listed building that physically couldn't be altered internally to amend wiring, customer supplied boiler and we do like to cover our aris)

So I'll repeat what was put pages ago, pump over run timer and it's cheap and simple.

Does that sort out the permanent live problem, frost protection etc?

No, although it is a workable solution, it does not sort it out completely as it does not provide any frost protection.

What is needed is to have a mains supply available close enough to connect it directly to the boiler as the permanent live.

The cable between the controls and the boiler is then used to enable the boiler to directly supply and thus control the pump.

All that is then required is a wireless connection from the controls to the boiler to provide the switched live switching signal to call for heat.

Tony

Agile you are showing yourself up to be the fool you are on this topic 2 separate supplies on a system this is why people have been killed in the past .
Its really simple the guy installed the boiler incorrectly lied that he had spoken to gloworm who said it would be ok .
Heaven forbid a customer actually wants a boiler installed correctly Davidswp i think you have dealt with this correctly you gave him the opportunity to correct HIS BASIC mistake or just downright laziness and he refused so yes take it all the way

Sponsored Links
If you have a 3 core flex (ie all 3 conductors are insulated) then this is a very simple cheap & easy to fit remedy. Its not perfect to the letter of the law but it defo works. In an ideal situation the boiler would have a earth from a local spot downstairs

As to its operation it will do all a pump over run needs to do - oveverun? This will resolve the F22 fault and we can all sleep easy! Not as 'proper' as Lees suggestion but as all things hinge around money ( unless someone else is paying) then this could save the day.

The installer screwed up....typical incompetence in this trade....pump overrun on boilers has been around for at least 30 years.

The only option I'd accept is to cable correctly.

Last thing I'd want is to cycle the power each time there's a demand.....modern pcbs especially Glowworm are well known for failing just on a power up. Never trust a manufacturer...install the boiler correctly as per the instructions otherwise the warranty's certain to be void.

As for moving the pump.....well that also depends on the feed/vent or the expansion vessel connection. Moving the pump may inadvertently place much of the system under negative pressure with possible consequences...something the original installer is also likely to be clueless about.

A quote from an electrician would be my option but if you're in IT why can't you run the cable yourself and leave the simple connections to a quality gas installer or electrician experienced in boiler controls.

Could use RF Solutions mainsllink system.
Less than £100 and take 30mins max.

Lots of options here for the lucky guy who gets to sort it out, ultimately hard wiring is the best option but there are plenty of "Get you out of S..t quick" options too... It is all down to what the guy on site finds when he gets there.. Happy days

Agile you are showing yourself up to be the fool you are on this topic 2 separate supplies on a system this is why people have been killed in the past .

Although not ideal, where two separate supplies are involved all it needs is for each part to be labelled correctly.

Any careful engineer always checks that a system has no mains on it independently before working on it. BG make sure their engineers understand that.

Tony, what happens if the two individual circuits are on different RCDs?...You are making a headache where there need not be one..

The Gas fitters have made a simple problem into a Major project.....Our work is done. :mrgreen:

Not ideal......without even discussing the implications of the wiring regs, electrical register.

Fooking dangerous and stupid idea

Ive had the odd ****ttty customer over the 10 plus years of being self employed but i must fall on the side of the OP.
Anyone in the industry knows a classic is only switch live , neutral and earth thus he would be two cores short on his cable.
am interested to know why the classic was being replaced though......wonderful bit of kit

am interested to know why the classic was being replaced though......wonderful bit of kit

Yes, I totally regret it. The fan failed (according to the same plumber who did the new install so it probably wasn't that) and I was quoted £250 to replace the fan. So I took the opportunity to fit a new condensing boiler obviously having bought into all the government A rated, efficiency ****e.
The guy didn't push me into getting the new boiler at all, I did make the suggestion to him, but when I asked him said he definitely recommended it saying it would save money because of higher efficiency.

I think he may be an older guy who did a later in life career change and doesn't have much experience. When he was looking at the old boiler he kept saying 'yeah I think its the fan' (didn't see him use a multimeter or anything to check if it even had power) and asked me if I thought he should change the fan. I didn't know why he was asking me, I just said 'youre the expert'. I should have realised at the time he wasn't that good.

A quote from an electrician would be my option but if you're in IT why can't you run the cable yourself and leave the simple connections to a quality gas installer or electrician experienced in boiler controls.

I just have too much stuff to do. I bought a house that was a repossession and am spending most weekends and evenings doing DIY already. The only sure fire way to lay the cable I know involves taking up flooring and floorboards and it would take me ages and can't have unboarded floors for a long time with a toddler running round. I think it may be quite easy to take the cable through the ceiling and down a box section though but I can't say for certain without removing the ceiling to check if there is a way of pushing the cable through.

Any careful engineer always checks that a system has no mains on it independently before working on it. BG make sure their engineers understand that.

But not careful engineers deserve to be fried? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back