Old Baxi Bermuda 401 Hot water No CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just after some advise, I'm no expert on my boiler I've only learnt about it this morning on Google.

I had a couple of radiators replaced downstairs (after some redecorating) and everything worked fine for a week or so. Last night they were hot lovely, this morning I cant get the central heating to fire up, or come on.

The back boiler fires up when the Water comes on and I have hot water.
when I switch the heating on it doesn't fire (no whoosh) just pilot light.

I have turned the boiler off, thermostat down/off (under the old gas fire, now disconnected), and pilot light off. then restarted it all.(grey button etc.)..... same thing

I have bled the radiators up stairs...same thing.

one thing I've noticed is when it fires up on the hot water the grungfos red pump on the tank upstairs gets very hot. the valve auto > manual switches over etc then back when it goes off.

with the heating on (water off) nothing happens the valve stays on auto, I can push it across by hand and it closes back?

Do I need to bleed the radiator again? is it an air lock? top the system up? (no idea how to do this)
or open the valve on the red pump see if its turning ok?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Hi just after some advise, I'm no expert on my boiler I've only learnt about it this morning on Google.

I had a couple of radiators replaced downstairs (after some redecorating) and everything worked fine for a week or so. Last night they were hot lovely, this morning I cant get the central heating to fire up, or come on.

The back boiler fires up when the Water comes on and I have hot water.
when I switch the heating on it doesn't fire (no whoosh) just pilot light.

I have turned the boiler off, thermostat down/off (under the old gas fire, now disconnected), and pilot light off. then restarted it all.(grey button etc.)..... same thing

I have bled the radiators up stairs...same thing.

one thing I've noticed is when it fires up on the hot water the grungfos red pump on the tank upstairs gets very hot. the valve auto > manual switches over etc then back when it goes off.

with the heating on (water off) nothing happens the valve stays on auto, I can push it across by hand and it closes back?

Do I need to bleed the radiator again? is it an air lock? top the system up? (no idea how to do this)
or open the valve on the red pump see if its turning ok?

Thanks for any help

Is the valve definitely 2 port (3 pipes connecting) or is there a second valve (2 x 2 ports each with 2 pipes)

When you say fire disconnected - is it still in position?

thanks for the reply

there are 2 separate silver boxes ( I presume are valves) on different pipes with auto manual on and a little pip you can slide across.

the gas fire in front of the boiler was disconnected (shut off) when we got the house 3 years ago. a gas plumber (friend) said they were old and dangerous and he wouldn't let us use it.
it is still in place but just for looks lol

Its actually still in place because it has to be if you are going to be using the back boiler.

Why not call your gas friend to check the probably failed motor valve?

In the meantime if you slide the lever on the CH valve and latch it on he open position then it will probably work on CH when you have the HW selected to be on.

Tony

Sponsored Links
ok thanks will try sliding the switch and latching it tonight see if it heats the rads as well.

Does the boiler not fire up? if the valve was faulty then? that the bit I don't get? I thought it would fire up but not heat the rads?

I will have to get him round. hes been laid up recently plus I've already called a few favours in with disconnecting the fire and cleaning the boiler/ service when I got the house. was trying not to take the mick.lol

and fix it my self

EDIT ---

sorry scrap my comment ive read that the port valve fires the boiler with a micro switch when it opens, that answers my question

But more that that, it only opens the microswitch when its opened under the motor power and not by the lever!

Tony

cheers guys the valves are both 2 way only. I'm guess 1 for the hot water 1 for the central heating.

I turned on the water last night and manually pushed the central heating one open which was the one not already open. and locked it open. all the radiators got hot!!

But obviously when the water is hot (in the tank) it switches off and the heating goes off with it. until some one runs the hot tap an the water starts up again. etc.

So what do you think does this means the motor in the CH valve is dead? as it doesn't move on its own when the CH is switched on. but opens manually when I push it.

I can turn of the electric and open it up remove the motor (but don't remove the bottom section in case its an old unit and lets the water out)

could this still all be caused by the need to bleed the system?

cheers guys the valves are both 2 way only. I'm guess 1 for the hot water 1 for the central heating.

I turned on the water last night and manually pushed the central heating one open which was the one not already open. and locked it open. all the radiators got hot!!

But obviously when the water is hot (in the tank) it switches off and the heating goes off with it. until some one runs the hot tap an the water starts up again. etc.

So what do you think does this means the motor in the CH valve is dead? as it doesn't move on its own when the CH is switched on. but opens manually when I push it.

I can turn of the electric and open it up remove the motor (but don't remove the bottom section in case its an old unit and lets the water out)

could this still all be caused by the need to bleed the system?

Nothing to do with the bleeding - apart from the probability that filling the system with valves closed made it difficult for the air to vent naturally as the system was filling.

You now know the valve is not opening - but not why. It IS often the motor at fault, but could be the room stat, programmer or even wiring.
Time for a multi meter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back