Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gravity Fed Hot Water & Heating System
Drayton Mid-Position Actuator MA1
Lifestyle LP722
Grundfos UBS 15-50 Selectric
Baxi Solo 3 PFL 80 Non-Condensing Conventional Boiler

I have the above system in my 1970's end of terrace. The boiler has started making a loud noise when in operation, sounds like an empty kettle being boiled. I've spoken to my plumber who has suggested that the system be cleaned through with chemicals as a build up of scale and sludge can cause these kettle-like noises. He has quoted between £250 and £300 for this process.

The boiler is probably close to ten years old. Part of my project for the house is to replace the boiler and tank in the airing cupboard (both of which are in cupboards above the stairs in the main bedroom) and replace them with a combination boiler to be placed in the loft space. I also want a power shower fitted in the bathroom to replace the over the bath tap shower.

I have asked my plumber to come to the house and give me an idea of cost for this system replacement instead of the chemical cleaning. I don't want to throw more money at the old boiler if it is more economical to replace the system now. In the future when I have had further changes to the house, specifically new windows which require some building work, I will then replace all the radiators in the house but it doesn't seem the right time to do the radiators.

What I would like to ask is if I am to proceed with this replacement of the boiler and new shower, what questions should I ask? I've looked at boilers online, but for a change this large to the system in the house I would like to have more questions to ask about the installation. Can anyone help me ?!

Sponsored Links
The boiler has started making a loud noise when in operation, sounds like an empty kettle being boiled. I've spoken to my plumber who has suggested that the system be cleaned through with chemicals as a build up of scale and sludge can cause these kettle-like noises. He has quoted between £250 and £300 for this process.

I have asked my plumber to come to the house and give me an idea of cost for this system replacement instead of the chemical cleaning. I don't want to throw more money at the old boiler if it is more economical to replace the system now. In the future when I have had further changes to the house, specifically new windows which require some building work, I will then replace all the radiators in the house but it doesn't seem the right time to do the radiators.

!
The pipes and rads will need cleaning particularly if a new boiler is to be fitted. I'm not convinced about chemical clean only . A powerflush is better . Apart from that get 3 quotes - not dissing your plumber , after all we're in Sussex together ;)

As said, powerflush the system with the new installation and fit a decent magnetic filter.

You should be asking what kind of performance you can expect from a combi. This will be dictated by your mains dynamic flow and pressure which your engineer should measure.

No point fitting a 38KW combi with a good hot water delivery if you only have 8 litres a min comming in and 1 bar pressure

A combi might not be the best solution for your property and you should be aware of there limitations; your engineer should be able to advise you.

Once you've decided on the type of system that will be best for you, then you should be asking questions about which boiler, warranties and so on

Sponsored Links
You lost me when you said, "put boiler in loft".

45yearsagasman

Could you explain why you were lost when I suggested this was the plan for re-siting the boiler ? I have a small kitchen (so minimal space for positioning the boiler there), and I wish to convert the cupboards that currently contain the existing tank and boiler into usable wardrobe space. Several other properties on the row have resited the boiler in the same way. I would appreciate your comments.

Some people just don't like fitging or working on boilers in the loft. Personally I don't find it an issue

Some people just don't like fitging or working on boilers in the loft. Personally I don't find it an issue

I find it an issue where there are no floor boards and extra insulation has been added so you can't find the joists. It is also a distance from the hatch to the boiler.

Took one look at one job and said get someone else or new boiler to be installed downstairs.

When the loft is boarded it gets stuffed full of boxes and xmas she ite which entails doing an impersonation of a Mountain Goat to reach it.
Did I mention the usual near vertical ladder which threatens to collapse!
Why is there never a power point up there but always a 5 watt bulb mounted high at the other end of loft.

As you may have twigged.....I am not a fan!!!

If you need to reset the boiler for any reason,you will be clambering about. Also, ideally, the combi should be a s close as possible to the main point of use, otherwise it takes an age for the HW to reach the outlet.

That solo could have 15 years plus left in it.

Get the system flushed (which would need to be done for a new boiler anyway) and go from there.

Ted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back