Radiators connected with flexible pipe - is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I know very little about central heating and would be grateful for some advice. I viewed a newly built house with a relative on Saturday which they are really interested in. However, there seems to be something strange (well to me) about the heating. There is a glow warm combi boiler and radiators but the radiators are connected via thin, flexible, hose like pipes that just flap around below the radiators and disappear through holes in to the wall. Is this how radiators are connected in modern homes now days or is this a cheaper way of doing it. I have only ever come across copper pipe and I have to say that other areas of the build did not look particularly professional so alarm bells are ringing. Thank you for any advice and info.

Sponsored Links
That's a microbore system, if I understand you correctly?

Google it and see.

Sponsored Links
That's a microbore system, if I understand you correctly?

Google it and see.

Hi and thanks for coming back. That is what I thought initially but, when I looked around, it seemed that microbore was still using copper pipe albeit more flexible in a roll - these are actual flexible hoses rather than solid pipes; I could grab the hose and move it all around. You may well be correct though - maybe this the newer way of doing it? Thanks again

It sounds like speedfit or hep2o 10mm white pipe. Sadly quite common in new houses. Should work ok but looks a bit rough.

Hi and thanks for coming back - I have just googled hep2o and I think you are probably spot on. The installation guide shows the hoses hangling in a similar fashion (a lot neater) to the ones I saw in the house. In the house the pipes were black and had been overpainted white. Thank you very much indeed. I am thinking that this cannot be anywhere near as good as normal copper?

Seems very odd to me to have black pipes.

But sadly plastic microbore pipe is so common in new houses because its quicker to fit.

Looks awful to me and does not need much ( any ) skill to instal.

Tony

Black coloured pipe is unusual.

Providing all the rads get hot I wouldn't worry, in this housing market you can't be too picky. Most new build has plastic in it because it can be installed by unskilled persons, and does not transmit noise, microbore needs smaller holes for the air test etc etc.

Altogether not a great leap forward, but cost is everything nowadays. Especially to the purchaser of the house.

Plastic plumbing systems thrown together by unskilled labour are what you get as standard with today's new builds. Also expect cardboard walls throughout, low ceilings, dolls house sized rooms, suspect workmanship and a 'garden' just about big enough for a rotary clothes line.

Get something older that has at least been built with some skill - preferably pre 80s. Wouldn't touch new builds with a bargepole.

Pre 80's - true to a point, but the 60's has some ROUGH houses - trust me I live in one :LOL: . Location and ability to refinish to my high standard is the key - and I can live with the bears arse brickwork.

Looks awful to me

Agreed. My brother has a new build.

The sad thing is it wouldn't look too bad if the angle valves went straight into the wall with pipes disappearing each side. Would add maybe 1 minute per rad!

Instead, they cut a big hole behind the rad and put the angle valves pointing to this hole.

Pre 80's - true to a point, but the 60's has some ROUGH houses - trust me I live in one :LOL: . Location and ability to refinish to my high standard is the key - and I can live with the bears a**e brickwork.

Agree. Some earlier houses weren't perfect. Hopefully by now though, they've been improved and any faults rectified.

Yes, also crap house in good area rather than vice versa.

Many thanks for all the replies about the heating. I certainly agree about new builds, there seems to be a lot of difference in quality, we have seen some real horror cases but also a couple of privately built examples where you can really see the better quality. I think we will be looking at more older properties now. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back