Zanussi FJR 1454W in Caribbean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An ex-pat friend of mine has asked for help with his Zanussi FJR 1454W washing machine which he has shipped here to Trinidad and Tobago from the UK. The machine ran perfectly after purchase a couple of times in the UK before shipping, so it's essentially brand new. After installation here, on first power up came the error code E90.

There are some differences in this country with the power supply compared to the UK which may explain the original fault:- although the voltage is nominally 230v, the frequency is 60Hz instead of 50Hz in the UK. Here the supply is 2 phase and neutral (115v - neutral - 115v) - in other words 230v center tapped to earth.

A local "expert" suggested a transformer to convert 60 Hz to 50 Hz - (which of course is nonsense), nevertheless the "expert" came along with a transformer that was 115v primary and 230v secondary at a frequency of 50/60 Hz. which he thought would convert between 60 and 50 hz. The end result was that the Electronics Module has now popped due to the supply of probably as much as 460v until the supply fuse went.

My question is in 4 parts:-

1) Can the Zanussi FJR 1454W work on 230v 60Hz ?
2) Can the Zanussi FJR 1454W work on 230v with centre tapped neutral/earth?
3) If answers 1) & 2) are yes, is the original fault likely to have been a faulty Electronics Module or some other fault?
4) Should I replace the Electronics Module (if I can get one!) or tell him to scrap the whole machine and purchase a local washer?

Thanks in advance.

Razz

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back