garden lights!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

would appreciate some help with garden lighting.

i want to put some outside wired garden lights. i assume i need 1.5mm2 aromored cable as i dont want conduits around garden.

1. is it ok for me to have lighting fed from outdoor or indoor 3-pin plugs ? If not what is the cheapest but compliant solution! Sockets are RCD protected. I am thinking of 6 to 8 lights. can get LED version if loading is a big concern!

2. how do i connect an armored cable to 3-pin plug (obviously if it is allowed!)

3. how do i wire armored cable to lights which are normally loop in/loop out? or do i really need to put a JB at each fitting!

4. Finally this is maybe strange but can i use a JB to connect an armored cable to a non-armored cable. Assuming that i am ok to use sockets for these lights, i would prefer to use indoor sockets (outdoor ones are available but not easily accssible for switching on/off). Previous owner had outdoor lighting fed from indoor plugs using unarmored cables. I have disconnected these lights now but he has already drilled holes through main wall to run these cables. i am not to keen on drilling new holes through main wall so i was thinking maybe just as the cable has got to the outside wall i put a JB and one side is eisting unaromored cable and the other is armored cable!

thanks

Sponsored Links
i assume i need 1.5mm2 aromored cable as i dont want conduits around garden.
Then you will almost certainly need armoured cable.

1. is it ok for me to have lighting fed from outdoor or indoor 3-pin plugs ?
Plugged in inside is really tacky.

But irrelevant, because...

2. how do i connect an armored cable to 3-pin plug (obviously if it is allowed!)
Can't be done.

3. how do i wire armored cable to lights which are normally loop in/loop out?
Buy ones with space for 2 SWA glands.

or do i really need to put a JB at each fitting!
O, of you can't find lights which will take 2 SWA glands, use a JB at each light position. Where will the cables run, and where would you need the JBs?

4. Finally this is maybe strange but can i use a JB to connect an armored cable to a non-armored cable. Assuming that i am ok to use sockets for these lights, i would prefer to use indoor sockets (outdoor ones are available but not easily accssible for switching on/off). Previous owner had outdoor lighting fed from indoor plugs using unarmored cables. I have disconnected these lights now but he has already drilled holes through main wall to run these cables. i am not to keen on drilling new holes through main wall so i was thinking maybe just as the cable has got to the outside wall i put a JB and one side is eisting unaromored cable and the other is armored cable!
A weatherproof JB on the wall outside will be fine. But don't have the internal cable plugged in - use a double-pole switched FCU inside, supplying the JB through the wall, and take the SWA from there.

Wiska boxes are good, and you can get a handy plate to go inside for SWA glands to screw into.

EC_607.jpg

You can also get single ones.

BTW - warning to all, do not do a Google image search for just "wiska" - you must add "box", or something, to the search, or you'll get a lot of NSFW photos....

i assume i need 1.5mm2 aromored cable as i dont want conduits around garden.
Then you will almost certainly need armoured cable.

1. is it ok for me to have lighting fed from outdoor or indoor 3-pin plugs ?
Plugged in inside is really tacky.

But irrelevant, because...

Can't be done.

3. how do i wire armored cable to lights which are normally loop in/loop out?
Buy ones with space for 2 SWA glands.

or do i really need to put a JB at each fitting!
O, of you can't find lights which will take 2 SWA glands, use a JB at each light position. Where will the cables run, and where would you need the JBs?

A weatherproof JB on the wall outside will be fine. But don't have the internal cable plugged in - use a double-pole switched FCU inside, supplying the JB through the wall, and take the SWA from there.

Wiska boxes are good, and you can get a handy plate to go inside for SWA glands to screw into.

EC_607.jpg

You can also get single ones.

BTW - warning to all, do not do a Google image search for just "wiska" - you must add "box", or something, to the search, or you'll get a lot of NSFW photos....

Thanks a lot for detailed reply. If I can't terminate armored cable to plug in socket, is there any alternative without running new circuits or spur? Is this something that I can do or does this become notifiable?

Many thanks

To power outside lights from a socket, you would wire a (switched, probably) fused spur unit - with a 3 or 5 amp fuse in it.

Some great comments from Ban there that should help you a lot.

Sponsored Links
To power outside lights from a socket, you would wire a (switched, probably) fused spur unit - with a 3 or 5 amp fuse in it.

Thanks for your reply. . I suppose fused spur can be wired from a socket or I can replace socket with fused spur. Can you get fused spur where armored cable can be terminated?

Thanks for your reply. . I suppose fused spur can be wired from a socket or I can replace socket with fused spur. Can you get fused spur where armored cable can be terminated?

It's the metal back box where the armoured cable gets terminated, before you connect the fused spur.

One easy solution is to strip 18 inches of armour off the end of an armoured cable. Get a galvanised 'end' or 'terminal' box with a hole in the back.

Connect cable via gland to the threaded spout on the conduit box, but with the inner cable passing through the hole in back of the box.

Drill hole through wall where fused spur is going. Pass cable through wall.

Outside fit box to wall, ensure box and armour is earthed, seal all holes, fit gasket and lid.

The only problem that could be considered here is whether the 'bedding' of the cable that passes through the wall can be considered as cable sheath.

I gather technically not, so conduit should be used.

As you can see, there is a lot involved in outside electrics. Complicated for DIYers, as everything has to watertight, earthed properly and generally compliant.

SWA has to be terminated correctly, the armour and any metal boxes must be earthed.

I strongly recommend getting an electrician to do all this work for you, as there is a lot to learn before embarking on this project.

Thanks. I guess as suggested I better get an electrician in to do this. Probably final question, is this work notifiable or needs certificate? Ta

Probably final question, is this work notifiable
Not unless the electrician decides it needs a new circuit. I can't think why she would.

or needs certificate? Ta
The electrician should give you a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate. (Or an Electrical Installation Certificate if it's a new circuit).

STEM's picture shows one way of doing this. If you take this approach, the junction box connectors must be Maintenance Free.

ie, crimps, Wago, or similar that comply with BS5733 mf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back