Kitchen hob feed, load question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just have a query over a 45a switch I was going to swap over today, when I unscrewed it I could see that the load and feed on the neutral side were crossed over, I. E live went to load side but the neutral went to the feed and vise versa, this socket only feeds the igniter to a gas hob, the circuit is connected to my oven and this is connected up properly, when I turn off the fuse in the consumer unit both oven and hob go off, this has been like this for three years that we have lived here!

So question is do I swap the neutral back over so they match, PS it's 10mm cable on both.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
CM2457.JPG
I would assume you mean one of these. The isolator is rated 45A and it has a socket so I suppose it's a 45A socket.

Swapping the incoming and outgoing with a device like this could cause a problem but with a simple isolator like this
ae235
it would not really matter.

There is not standard position for the cables and it is possible they simply would not reach to correct side and although with a neon it could not be swapped.

Without being a 100% sure on what we are talking about I would not like to give advice as it could turn out to be wrong. As you can see pictures really help. Maybe you can post pictures of what you have found.

The simple answer is that to correctly terminate the load and supply sides.
It is very likely that having the neutrals in the position load/supply is causing no electrical issues, power wise or safety wise, but just for peace of mind, make sure you have load-load and supply-supply.

Sponsored Links
If it does have a socket it will loose its neutral when the cooker switch is turned off.

Leaving the line connected to the hob.

With the above isolator having the load and supply neutral reversed will not have any adverse affects or unsafe affects.
But if you have the opportunity to safely swap them, do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back