What would be a fair price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be grateful if members could tell me what price I ought to pay for this:

To carry out a magna filter flush on the central heating system and fit a magna clean professional 28mm filter on the boiler return pipework. To fit a new radiator in a bedroom (removing the old). Customer to supply new radiator.

Thank you

LHO, Hastings

Sponsored Links
Crystal ball time :LOL:

You ought to pay a fair price for the work needed, which will differ depending on the layout of your house, and the number of rads on your system to name but two factors. None of which anyone on here can see.
Also this isn't a price comparison site, more for a bit of help if you were thinking of doing it yourself.

My telephone quote ( as I dont waste time looking at smaller jobs for quote collectors ) would be as follows!

Power flush on seven rad system £350

Supply at cost and fit Magnaclean at £75

Fit supplied rad and supply lockshield and Drayton TRV4 £150 [ But thats in place of same size existing rad ]

If its a new rad were there has never been one before than £8 per metre for pipes to feed points IF customer takes up and replaces flooring!

I would have thought those woudl be pretty typical prices but the vary across the country a fair bit.

Tony

Where are you getting 28mm magnacleans for £75 from?
Why don't you charge to install it?

Sponsored Links
28mm Magnaclean suggests a large system.

How many radiators ?

Although a magnacleanse will get some carp out of your system it is not thorough enough to get a fouled system clean as your circulating pump is not strong enough to shift the muck.

You would do better paying for a proper powerflush. I use a Magnacleanse in series with a powerflush machine and vibra lean the rads, so best of both.

I would expect to pay £350 plus VAT upto 10 rads and £20 for every additional rad

Yes. Shame Agile doesn't say what the 'cost' is though. :rolleyes:

OP: ignore his advice. Plumbers don't ask people to take up flooring and refit generally. Agile does, because he cannot do it himself.

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin is usually the attributed as the author.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I was quoted £440. (ten rads)

I thought that was high, but I guess that must be a fair price after all.

LHL

VC, brilliant post that echoes what I found today

Customer had a Vokera Linea 24
She had someone fit a Saber 35. Inlet gas pressure 10mbar and burner pressure with hot water demand- 7.8mbar. This lady is not the one that would skimp on price. It was the installer that threw a replacement boiler on the wall without due care and attention. Also no thermostat and perfect Benchmark logbook- all perfect figures copied from the data badge. Interlock box ticked also:confused:

Thanks DP. I first saw it in a car sales shoroom then tracked it down and used it with customers when necessary though not very often.

I'm just getting many thousands of pounds of roofwork done on my houseby a roofer I know will do a good job. Yes I can shop around but I want him to be happy and go that bit extra for good money. It'll only take one leak on the ton of leadwork to make a thousand saved poor value.

You'll notice a leaking roof. However the boiler with undersized gas supply may go on for years, even without a service, the customer happy, they get heat and hot water. When it breaks down the engineer that diligently points out the fault will be the one the user questions.

Yes. Shame Agile doesn't say what the 'cost' is though. :rolleyes:

OP: ignore his advice. Plumbers don't ask people to take up flooring and refit generally. Agile does, because he cannot do it himself.

Anyone who can read and understand what I wrote will understand what I said about the price to install a Magnaclean.

I can take up and replace floorboards. But it is time consuming.

But many DIY minded customers can do that themselves or have a cheap carpenter available.

I make no secret that my time is best spent on doing heating and boiler work and will charge similar rates for more basic work like on floorboards.

Taking up boards carefully is time consuming and likely to be 2-3 times that of fitting pipework.

Tony

Taking up boards carefully is time consuming and likely to be 2-3 times that of fitting pipework.

Tony

So how much do you charge for a full central heating system say 9 radiators?

Do you expect the client to remove floorboards and refit?

You haven't a clue Tony. ;) Shame the diy peeps on this forum fall for your BS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back