HETAS am I liable?

Well at last we know which deprived part of the Empire Norcon hails from... Perhaps he should refrain from commenting on topics that are only relevant in the civilised world...

Sponsored Links
That's the case here in the province. Mebbe different in England.

Doesn't matter how badly it was bodged. They needed heat in their home and had no other choice after being abandoned by their installer.

I think you will find, if you care to read the OP properly, that THEY abandoned the installer. First the installer could not continue as other work had not been completed, then they could not afford to get him back. THEN, rather than calling him, they shoved the liner into the flue spigot.

OP: what do you mean when you say the liner was fitted OUTSIDE the house?

As for the question of liner and new flues (England), you cannot build a new flue utilising a liner. I don't see why a "newish" that has become defective could not be lined - but I could be wrong

Sponsored Links
By stainless steel liner external, I presume he's actually talking about twin wall.

OP - I'm afraid you've well and truly shot yourself in the foot on this one. You now have a non-compliant installation which is invalidating your home insurance and also sounds like it is dangerous to use (smoke blowing back).

In the event that your house burns down and it is traced to a fault with the installation, you'll find that the insurers won't pay up. You'll lose everything.

In the event that someone dies of carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of your installation, you will almost certainly be convicted of manslaughter.

Your entire installation needs to be re-done by a professional, who will want to replace all the flue you've had installed with new if he's following the Building Regulations correctly. In the meantime, this dangerous installation should not be used

Perhaps a fair compromise would be to speak to the installer and get him back to strip out the bits that are wrong and redo the job from where he left off....

When did this happen? Metal lining only allowed on existing chimneys. New builds are permanent lined.

Flexible liners are allowed to be used on new build chimneys.
As long as they are not the primary flue.
Its all covered in part J.

Here in NI they must be used.

By stainless steel liner external, I presume he's actually talking about twin wall.

I don't think we will ever know. I assume the OP hasn't like the responses on either forum, so he's lost interest

They needed heat in their home and had no other choice after being abandoned by their installer.
So where did you read that gem?

OP said
On his departure we paid him in full and we were to contact him to return and finish off and commission etc.

Unfortunately it took some time for us to finish the floor in our dining room due to money being spent else where but once it was done we were excited to get our new stove up and running. So me and the wife hooked the stove up to the flue ourselves,
Nothing there about job being abandoned by installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back