old bath, new taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted new taps to my bath which is about 60 years old. The holes in the bath that take the taps are bigger than they are in modern baths. Does anyone know where I can get chrome plated washers that I can put in place to cover the holes completely?

Sponsored Links
traineegasman said:
Buy a new bath, Tight ar*e.... :rolleyes:

Yeh, thanks for that. To take your suggestion slightly seriously, I did consider replacing the bath but the effort to remove a perfectly good iron bath and replace it with a new one with the retiling etc that would entail, seemed a bit unnecessary for the sake of a finding couple of washers. By the way, I've used nylon washers which work fine but I think chrome would look better.
Yours
Tightar*e

Sorry Mulled Dude friend, it was only a bit of fun m8, no offence intended. Glad you got it sorted :D :D :D, maybe if you had explained your problem a little better....... :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
mulledwine said:
I've used nylon washers which work fine but I think chrome would look better.
mulledwine, I have seen chrome flat washer about, what size is it?

Some plumber's here might know where to get it from.

masona said:
mulledwine said:
I've used nylon washers which work fine but I think chrome would look better.
mulledwine, I have seen chrome flat washer about, what size is it?

Some plumber's here might know where to get it from.

Thanks for the reply. The size I'd need would be approx 45mm-50mm diameter with a hole to fit 3/4" tap tail through.

I think plumbers merchants might have tanking washers that big (for water storage tanks) but I don't know how good looking they might be.

More like an engineering size washer and then chrome/stainless would be an option.

mulledwine said:
I have fitted new taps to my bath which is about 60 years old. The holes in the bath that take the taps are bigger than they are in modern baths. Does anyone know where I can get chrome plated washers that I can put in place to cover the holes completely?

You could try asking a a local metal fabricators to make up plates bespoke for you. I've done this a few times for oddments. Cost £15 ish for a metal worker to run something up in his lunch hour. Draw out what you want and be very specific about dimensions, including thickness of the material. You're unlikely to get chrome finish, but stainless shouldn't look too bad, or you could go for copper and apply a patina to get an antique effect. Good luck, Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back