New Wall Posts For New Gates And Railings, is This Possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been meaning to do this for the last 8 years, and this is the year.

We widened our brick gate posts to get the car in and out easier (as people kept parking opposite making it impossible.

So now, we want to add new iron gates, and new railings to the wall outside, but I want to add brick pillars to the existing brick wall, in the middle. The brick gate post pillars are wider than the existing wall, so how can new pillars be added in the middle, is it a standard job for a brickie? so I can then get railings measured and-between the new pillars?

These pics should explain, what is there now, and what I want to do:

As it is now after extending brick pillars:

j6n9qr.jpg

How I want it to look with pillars added to middle of existing wall so new railings can be fitted:

2lcmro8.gif

Any advice would be appreciated as to how to go about this.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The finials & railings can be bought off the shelf.

The bit of brickwork needed could be done in a couple of hours but you would be charged a min of a morning's work.

For fitting the ironwork and doing the brickwork allow a day.

Adding a pier is fine if the wall is thick enough? a pier would be best if it was a brick and a half (13'') If your wall however is only 9'' it will corbel over both sides and look a bit weird.

a 9'' pier may look funny but its an aesthetic choice for you to make.

You could add the pier to make it flush with the front but then it wouldn't match the gate piers which look like they sit proud of the wall.

Throwing a small 9'' pier on the top of a 9'' wall is very easy and fast but doing anything else will require some bricks being removed to tie it in etc and so a fair bit more work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the wall, apart from the existing pillars (which do sit proud and extend) is just 1 brick thick (9"?, 1 and a sideways brick width), so for a true pillar a new pillar would have to be built, which could be more costly than it is worth.

If I just have a 9" width pillar built, then I don't think the finials would fit on the new pillar.

I am weighing up the options of just having a continuous railing fitted, to save the cost of a brickie, and to save the cost of the brickie, but really, I think the railings would look much nicer with a pillar in-between to break it up.

Nothing is ever straight forward is it :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back