Main Cable in Industrial Unit

If I'm drilling concrete and hit something metal in the concrete, I can take the drill bit out and see tiny metal shavings magnetised to the end of the drill bit.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry, if hes drilling and hits the supply cable, he can take the drill bit out and and not see the end of the drill bit at all :LOL:

Rather than going at it with power tools, break out carefully by hand to a known depth, carefull there aint no damp proof membrane, then reconcrete the section, when hard, drill your fixings, safely knowing the areas clear, sounds like you only need go 100mm deep

If you go for this option of breaking out a section of slab by hand, once broke out you could always concrete in an anchor bolt. Then there'll be no drilling needed. If there's not really much in the way of uplift forces a piece of treaded bar with a nut on the end cast on should work fine.

Sponsored Links
In terms of access to electrical equipment, are there rules to how much room there needs to be.
Yes, but the term used is 'sufficient space', no specific distances given.

However in the picture shown, I would suggest that anything less than 1 metre depth of clear space in front of the equipment and cabling would be unacceptable.

Except that feeder cable will not be magnetic.

He said it was armoured though, aren't they normally braided in steel?

Not something to rely on but if I thought I was drilling clear then heard a change of tone and saw swarf on the drill bit I would be reviewing my actions right there.

It'll probably be something like a waveform cable, alu cores surrounded by a braiding of copper forming the neutral/earth combined conductor.

By the time you have felt it, you'll be into the cable, have blown the tip off the drill and the fault will have cleared by way of the alu conductor burning back from the point of impact, leaving you a a phase or number of phases down.

Oh and a big bill and a hole in thr floor when the DNO have to come and joint it!

Is that an outside wall we are looking at? If so (although one obviously couldn't rely on it), isn't it unlikely that the incoming supply cable goes under the concreted (interior) floor of the building at all?

Kind Regards, John

Morning All,

Thought I would finish this thread off and tell you Im still alive!!

I decided to very slowly and carefully drill the holes, checking that is was still concrete at the bottom of the hole every few mm. Took a little while but glad to say all went well and didnt hit anything

Thanks for you help everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back