Canopy Extractor Fan into Chimney Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum so hi everyone.

We have just moved into a new property and the kitchen doesn't have an extractor. All of the downstairs is open plan so this becomes a bit of an issue if you fancy a steak or fry up.

he gas hob is inside the old chimney breast, directly above the hob has been plaster boarded and tiled over.

I have cut three tiles out today to get an idea on whats involved and whilst it's not impossible, its harder than I thought.

I have been looking at suitable extractors and I need one with a low profile as there isn't much space inside the chimney. I have found one made by Elica which has an external fan motor and I planned to duct up the old chimney around 1.5 metres and then straight out of the wall to the fan.

I have hit a bit of a snag. If you look at the photos, you can see that there is a concrete lintel under the tiles, I think there will be two side by side, 100mm x 65mm each. The lintel and the bricks above it are in the way. To make way I would have to cut along the length of it and the bricks by about 25mm and about 120mm deep. That means the 100mm lintel would then be a 75mm lintel.

The profile of the chimney breast doesn't go all the way through the house, it just goes to the kitchen ceiling. After this, the chimney is just a box profile through the bathroom loft space.

Before I go any further, do you think that cutting the lintel along its length and therefore making it 25mm narrower will cause any structural issues, when there is another one at the side of it? If so, can anyone advise what my options are?

Please take a look at my photos, it should be clear what I am trying to do.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy :)

Sponsored Links
Pics of the c/breast in the bathroom and the loft would help? Also, pics of the external wall and the chimney stack?

You have a thick coating of soot mixed, now, with the fatty fumes from the original extractor. This flue should be cleaned with a wire flail and swept, otherwise you will eventually have salts coming thro the tile background.

A sketch of your proposal would help.

What am i looking at in pic 5?

Does the beam that runs across the ceiling have any structural value?

Thank for your reply.

I have uploaded more pictures showing the chimney through the bathroom and loft space.

I do not intend to duct all the way up the chimney though, I want to core drill through the wall from the outside into the chimney about 1.5 metre above where the extractor will be. The beam you can see is just hollow so I think it will be for central heating pipes.

The thing you can see in the picture is loft insulation (rockwool) stuffed up the chimney. This brings me to my next snag as I have pulled this out and half a tonne of dust came with it. When this had cleared and id stopped choking I looked up the chimney and it looks blocked,

I have posted a photo of this. Its a little late at night to start poking at it but it may just be a build up of soot and dust that I need to clear.

I think I may be better calling a chimney sweep to do this? I will post a sketch tomorrow because it's beer time :mrgreen:

Thanks again

Yes, you need a chimney sweep to sweep and clean whats possible, and find out what is blocking the flue. Perhaps its a simple matter, other times sweep's have to drop cameras down the flue. Whatever, its best to have an unblocked swept flue.

The original extractor opening in the pics will probably have to be enlarged.

I assume that the concrete lintels that you refer to are positioned on the c/breast face side of the flue - you might be able to avoid them by moving the ext. back a little.

The bathroom and loft c/breast pics are fine.

I assume that there is a cable/feed for the ext. perhaps tucked up in the flue area?

Sponsored Links
Hi, the chimney sweep is booked for a week on Friday, he seemed to know his stuff as he does stove installations, repairs etc so I can get him to advise me on the lintel. Unfortunately, I can't avoid cutting a strip off the lintel because the extractor is already as far back as it can go, it is on the face side as you said. I just need to work out the best way to cut through it as I assume it will have re-bar through it? Whatever I do it's going to make one Hell of a mess !!!! Best stock up on dust masks and sheets !! I'm thinking of either buying a large diameter diamond cutting disc for my angle grinder, or stitch drilling along the length of it and chiseling the material away?
I can definitely see why the previous owner didn't bother with an extractor !! There is power on top of the kitchen units to the left of the chimney breast, I was going to drill through the side and run the cable into the chimney.

Oh, OK, then no previous extractor, that explains a lot.

Do you already have the new extractor? If not then google extractors with the motor housing set more to the rear than centre - you could come off the housing with a ninety degree bend and go straight out of the chimney breast back wall.
But first contact the Mfr's tech dept for details because not all hoods will suit.

If possible stay away from notching a concrete lintel(s).

I have ordered the extractor which is being delivered Tuesday, I have trawled the internet for hours and can only find one that is suitable..........

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/elb60rm/elica-elb60rm-52cm-canopy-hood

It has a separate external motor which mounts on the outside, this means the depth of the extractor is quite small (140mm) which is what i need. The only possible way around not cutting down the lintel is modifying the extractor itself. I'm a pretty good welder/fabricator so if the box can be cut back and then a piece welded in then I could do that. I know this would void the warranty but it may be an option, I need to see the extractor to see if this is possible. It would obviously not have to affect the operation of the extractor. You can see from the photo just how little room I have to play with, the end of the tape is against the splash back, the body of the extractor is 258mm deep plus 15mm for the lip around the edge. This mean even if I have it hard against the wall it fouls the lintel by around 10 mm. Nothing is ever simple!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back