Can I remove wooden supports underneath my staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new here and will probably have lots of questions in time, i'm fairly new to DIY too but like to give things a go before calling the professionals in.

I want to open up the space underneath my stairs, it was previously covered up with wooden panels, I have removed the panels which has revealed some wooden framework / supports.

Is it safe to remove all of this wood without my stairs falling down? I don't think it's load bearing but i'm not 100% sure.

I have included some photos to make it clear what i'm talking about.

Thank You.
Paul

Sponsored Links
No. The last post in the framing appears to be supporting a cantilevered joist & the landing platform. Remove nothing else until you've had a local joiner in to give a view on site.

Thank you for the reply.

The last post seems to be supporting the stairs only rather than a joist, unless the joist is hidden away where i can't see?

I have a couple of close ups of this area, not sure if you can tell from these photos though.

I will get someone on site to confirm before i go any further, but if the close up gives you more insight that would be great...if not where is the joist i should be looking out for?

Thanks again!

Is there any evidence in any of the neighbouring houses that shows a full height (top of staircase) newel post?

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid i wouldn't know the answer to this, i've not long moved into the house so not too friendly with neighbours at the moment.

When you say a full height, do you mean that goes all the way from the top of stairs to the ground floor? Are you suggesting that this may have been the case at one stage for my stairs?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back