Dissapointed with professionals finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if you could advise me on this please...
I had a "professional" plasterer in last week who was recommended to me as I'm new to the area. He's replastered two of my rooms including ceilings (previously artexed).

Now it's done I'm really disappointed with the finish and I'm not sure what to do or what can be solved/salvaged from the job. Any help/advice would be great as I'm going to have to get him back to look at the problems.

The ceilings have a fair few "ripples" and marks in them. There pilars in the room that he angle beaded but again, the surface is rippled/marked where he's not troweled it off correctly.

I've plastered before and I know it's tricky and to be honest I'm slow but my finish is better than his. It's almost as though he's allowed it go off but not used the fat to fill in the marks/low spots.

For some reason he didn't plaster under the wall sockets either but he applied plaster at the end and then seems to have brushed over it with a wet brush leaving it "dipped" and with brush marks at these points.

I guess it's worse when the sun/room light shines on it but surely... the finish should be pretty flawless?!

Any ideas/suggestions greatly received as I'm pretty down in the dumps about it and now it's been over skimmed there not much left on the coving/skirting to think about doing it again.

I'm gutted.

Sponsored Links
If you are that concerned why not post pics?

Depending on how the in-place skim bonded its sometimes best to PVA and re-skim.

Pictures won't show the problem as it's when the light catches it you can see the marks and ripples in the plaster.

Any advice guys?

Sponsored Links
It's rippled and a has minor marks in the surface of the plaster. It's easier seen then there's light on it or the sun is on it. what do you think?

When you say it can be snagged... what do you mean by this and what is it?

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Snagging means making good if the imperfections are minor they can made good with easifill or joint cement if the ripples are not bad they may be able to be rubbed down the fact that you can only see the imperfections in good light suggests to me you may be able to save it but i haven't seen the job so can't really say anymore on it

Just to add if it was me looking at your job I would make a decision on whether to snag or reskim if I was to snag it I would mist coat it first

Thanks for that.

Might be difficult to see due to the picture and the light but you might be able to make it out in these pics:

4ptmoj.jpg

2j1x4qw.jpg

When you say easifill or joint cement would you suggest wetting it first, troweling on and then sanding down or how would you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

I have snagged much worse, i would use joint cement or easifill but prefer the former .heres what to do--- mist coat - then snag -then another mistcoat (second mistcoat seals the joint cement so that the topcoat will be uniform), apply joint cement with a flexible taping knife/filling knife let it dry rub down , also rub down any ripples using fine grit

Hi Chris - can't add to the good advice, but have a good plasterer in the family if you need any more done ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back