Illegal cabling(?) and strange box

Wow! Yes, it is an SK postcode and, unless it's coincidentally some other problem, they must have put things in place very quickly!

Big bruvver and all that, I could see the job before you got visited.

I'll try and find where it went on our system tomorrow and what is suggested

Sponsored Links
He advised me to call them tomorrow or Wednesday to see what's happening, and to tell them that my wife is worried sick. B***er that, I'M worried sick!

As a bit of relief for your concerns. The way things are have been like it for a long time.

I am not saying that it does not need to be sorted, it does. But it is no more dangerous today than it was yesterday. It will go on being fine unless it is disturbed. So sleep well.

No, I was only joking. It has been OK for at least ten years and, if we hadn't had the bedroom done we'd never have known.

The trouble with old rubber cable is that it goes hard and brittle.

As long as nothing disturbs it then it remains a very good insulator (and looks fine too) but a bit of movement and cracks will start opening up. Since it's basically impractical to gaurantee zero movement (houses are not 100% rigid) it should be replaced.

You're right, I'm sure, and I'm certainly not going to go poking about down there. As for movement, as you can see from the photos, the old box has already moved and dropped off the wooden board, probably many years ago.

Wow! Yes, it is an SK postcode and, unless it's coincidentally some other problem, they must have put things in place very quickly!

Big bruvver and all that, I could see the job before you got visited.

I'll try and find where it went on our system tomorrow and what is suggested

Thank you very much, Westie. That would be very helpful.
My wife sends her love! :D

Sponsored Links
Oh, I'm certain the old box must have been there well before we came here 10 years ago. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was put in when the house was built in the 1920s - and maybe even on a DC supply! I don't know how early AC came into use around here.

Sorry for straying off-topic, but this got me thinking.
I've been searching online for the history of DC power supply in the UK, and specifically in my own area (Stockport), but all I can find is that some areas were still on DC supply right up to the 1950s.
This being a more urban area, I should imagine that AC was introduced much earlier than that, but I'm just interested as to whether our house was once supplied with DC. I am assuming that an electrical supply might have been installed when, or shortly after, it was built in the 1920s. There are no signs of gas lighting fittings anyway!
I don't suppose anyone has any idea?

The job seems to have been dropped off our fault management system with a comment that it has been passed for planning.

Thanks again Westie.

I don't think it's particularly urgent, which is just as well as the decorator is doing out the room next week. Then the new furniture will be fitted a couple of weeks later. Once done, that shouldn't get in their way as there will be no fitted units over the area of the 'mystery box', just a (movable) bedside cabinet.

Good news that it has been approved, though. Thanks for letting me know.

Bear in mind that the DNO may need to re-lay new cable from the entry point (the box in the floor) all the way to the consumer unit.

That may need floor to be taken up etc. I wouldn't do anything too much until at least a survey has been done and you are made aware of what is needed to be done.

Bear in mind that the DNO may need to re-lay new cable from the entry point (the box in the floor) all the way to the consumer unit.

That may need floor to be taken up etc. I wouldn't do anything too much until at least a survey has been done and you are made aware of what is needed to be done.

Thanks for the information. That's a bit worrying.
It is quite possible to get under the floor. I've been down there in the past, as has a plumber more recently, so hopefully they may be happy to do it that way. Then, of course, they may be able to pull the new cables through the existing conduit which, I would have thought, would be easier for them.
Anyway, if the worst comes to the worst, most if not all of the floor area between the location of the power cables' entry to the property to the meter and CU will be accessible.

Here is a floor plan of the house showing the presumed location of the existing conduit. I am certain about the position of each end, but assume the rest goes along this logical route.

Hi JB

I would be surprised if ENWL drag new cables through the old conduit.

They will more than likely joint the old PILC (paper insulated lead covered) cable to modern PVC split concentric (http://www.batt.co.uk/products/view/610/Split-Concentric-Cable-BS7870)
using a resin filled joint.

But westie can advise better!

Thanks, SS. Are you saying that they might connect this PVC cable to the existing PILC cable from outside?

Assuming you mean they will either dispose of the old rubber cables or leave them in the old conduit, do I take it that they are most likely to just lay the new (PVC) cable along the under floor space?

Personally, I'd prefer the new cable to run through the existing conduit, as that will offer protection against rodent damage. I do realise, though, that I shall have no say in the matter!

(I'll agree to go mining if they want to remove the new fitted furniture!)

I'm assuming leaving the old conduit in and jointing the cable Not at all sure the split-con will fit in the conduit, especially where it goes round corners.

They could lay it in ducting to give it protection.

If I were planning/doing this job I would look at installing a new service to a surface mounted viewing cabinet adjacent to the meter/CU location, with tails from there. The cable to be rub underground through the garden (?)
If tail length is an issue a SW fuse could be fitted.

Other alternative would be a complete new service to the existing meter position.

No way would I try to reuse the conduit.

If I were planning/doing this job I would look at installing a new service to a surface mounted viewing cabinet adjacent to the meter/CU location, with tails from there. The cable to be rub underground through the garden (?)
If tail length is an issue a SW fuse could be fitted.

Other alternative would be a complete new service to the existing meter position.

No way would I try to reuse the conduit.

That sounds a lot less hassle to me, in fact before I found the 'mystery box' I had assumed that the service came in directly from the road under the front garden to underneath the meter position, the conduit visible next to the CU running straight out of the house at that point (the broken red line on this plan:)

In fact, I can't think why they didn't do it that way in the first place except perhaps, as someone said earlier, the meter and fuse box may have been elsewhere originally.

Of course, that would mean a lot more digging outside, especially as the electricity services run under the road and no pavement in front of our house. Still, whatever they think best; they're doing me a favour, after all.

But what is a 'surface mounted viewing cabinet'? Is that some modern equivalent to the old metal box under the bedroom floor? I assume there would be sufficient space for it on the board next to the meter and cutout (see earlier pictures).

Just out of interest, why do both you and SS think it unwise to re-use the present conduit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back