New oil boiler-is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a Worcester Camry Greenstar 12/18 condensing oil boiler fitted as a replacement for a turco 2000 non condensing boiler that broke.

The boiler runs for 2 minutes then shuts off for 6 minutes and then repeats this cycle, have bled the system and balanced the rads, the boiler output has been set to 15kw which matches the heat requirement for the house, but no matter what I try the boiler seems stuck in this pattern.

As the boiler is new to me, is this how it should operate or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Yeah rads get hot, house warm, just wasnt sure if the cycling was normal for this boiler.

Air baffle was also set for a 18kw setting so this has been adjusted to match the lower heat output required.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming it doesn't do this from cold.

What's the temp difference between flow and return?

Adjusting the 'air damper' without changing the nozzle and oil pressure is a great big NO NO !!!!!!! An oil burner is a precision piece of equipment andrequires sophisticated equipment to set it up.
Call your installer back in and tell him what you have done. It will cost you, but nowhere near as much as when the boiler is completely sooted up.

Adjusting the 'air damper' without changing the nozzle and oil pressure is a great big NO NO !!!!!!! An oil burner is a precision piece of equipment andrequires sophisticated equipment to set it up.
Call your installer back in and tell him what you have done. It will cost you, but nowhere near as much as when the boiler is completely sooted up.

Where does it say he's done that?

Air baffle was also set for a 18kw setting so this has been adjusted to match the lower heat output required.[/quote]

The only air baffle on this boiler is the air adjuster on the burner. The M.I's give a mean setting for the output required, but also a new nozzle size and oil pressure to match.

Doesn't say who has made the adjustment!
Just that is been adjusted, which could have been by the installer and he could well have set pressure/nozzle accordingly.

Doesn't say who has made the adjustment!
Just that is been adjusted, which could have been by the installer and he could well have set pressure/nozzle accordingly.

Well that was my thinking, but I don't know the boiler.

WB Camray ceased production this time last year......

Either it isn't 'new' or eBay me thinks...

Camray 12/18 came out of the box nozzle'd for 15Kw so I don't see what set up was required, it should just be a matter of checking oil pressure and setting CO2, no internal adjustments needed.

I suspect we're only getting part of the story. Nothing new there then.

Thanks for the replys, the air baffle was set by the installer at the time of commissoning.
From the manual it looks as if the air baffle can be set to give either following outputs 12-15kw and 18kw depending on how the baffle is placed within the unit.

Now it looks to me as if the baffle has been pleaced at the 18kw setting and the airflow set to match, making the boiler throw far too much heat at the system causing it to short cycle, anyone agree or dissagree so far?

So if I get the engineer back to set the baffle, adjust the oil pressure and adjust the airflow to 15kw this might be the answer. The claculated heatload for the house is aprrox 14kw.

The boiler is a Danesmoor Greenstar utility 12/18, not bought off fleabay!

I would discuss the situation with the installer, which should have been the 1st port of call. Downrating the boiler does not just entail altering the air damper. If you look at the commissioning details, you will see that other items are involved.
Short cycling can also be caused by other factors, such as incorrectly sized pipework. You need to get it sorted, as if it continues, it can cause premature failure of the boiler.

So it is a Danesmoor, not a Camray as you wrote in the original post.

I install a fair number of these and can advise you that the Worcester manual has an incorrect diagram for the position of the air baffle qn a 12/18 - so I suspect you have already tried moving it to the 'correct' position and found it wont fit.

Always best getting an installer experienced with the product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back