dog proof flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, any recommendations on the best flooring that will be dog proof.

We currently have the original pine boards, and the dog is a bit of a scratcher, and has ruined some boards by scratching (he licks the floor to get it damp and soft, and then scratches- very intelligent IMO!)

Tiles are an obvious choice, but I really want wood. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Maybe get a dog whisperer in to find out what the dog's psychological problem is. Something is obviously troubling it and it's venting its feelings/frustrations out on the floor.

waterproof varnish then the floor won't be softened by doggy dribble.

However don't blame me if then then goes and chews something more precious.

Sponsored Links
Get Karndean Van Gogh. Tough. Textured so don't show scratches as much. Easy to clean.

He's a bit of a Heinz dog (57 varieties), but with imagine a bisson/westie/jack Russell cross and you wont be far off.

Most of the scratching occurs when we leave in the morning, he will scratch at the door/floor as he wants to come into the front room and watch us leave out of the window.

Also scratches when he hears people walking past/moving wheelie bins etc

The floor was varnished, but he scratched that off fairly quickly, he also ate through the outer panel of the door, so I came home to all of the cardboard (cheap hollow-core door) spread over the floor.

I am reluctant to try anything without a serious recommendation/experience, as it could be a very expensive hobby for him.

Think I will have to wait until he goes to the big park in the sky before I bother, or just before we sell if that comes first!

You could try the Pall-X Extreme lacquer by Pallman. We tend to use this on floors in very high traffic areas - hotel lobbies, restaurants etc. Make sure to buy the optional, dedicated hardener that is mixed in and when set, really is the toughest we have ever used. Don't get confused with the normal two-part lacquers (Bona Traffic for example) where the second bottle (often referred to as the 'hardener') is more of a catalyst that has to be mixed in in order for the coating to cure.

Only drawback with the Pallman is a more limited range of sheen finishes, but in matt, it really is flat (assuming you want the minimal sheen - most people do!)

Or just buy a coir mat and let the dog scratch that!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back