installing outdoor electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so ive looked around here and there's loads on electrics but not what i'm trying to do, and the regs seem to of changed again so i am not sure if i can self cert or need someone to come in and cert,or if i need a cert at all,

i am confident with electrics as ive enjoyed doing bits with it for years but never took it outside so looking for a little advice.

All i want to do is run a feed from the house to the top of the garden about 10 meters from the house about 16 from the the cu, i want to feed a permanent double socket(not always in use) this would feed a water feature,then sometimes for about an hour a patio heater and every now and again power tools IE. mover,circular saw jig saw etc,(patio heater and power tools would not be on at the same time) then to feed 2 small sheds with lighting 1 light each, 40-60w bulbs, was wondering can i cut into the ring in the kitchen(kitchen at the back of the house) or would i have to run from the cu? what if any rcd protection would i need if any? whats the best cable for outside? do i HAVE to bury the cable or can i clip it to the fence,

thanks for info guys, hoping to start the project on Saturday and complete in the weekend

Sponsored Links
was wondering can i cut into the ring in the kitchen(kitchen at the back of the house)
would i have to run from the cu?
what if any rcd protection would i need if any?
whats the best cable for outside?
do i HAVE to bury the cable
No
Yes
30 mA
SWA
no, you can clip it to a wall (but not a fence)

hoping to start the project on Saturday and complete in the weekend
shake%20head.gif

1) You've got more than 3 days learning and practising to do before you'll be competent enough to do this, from the POV of design, construction and testing.

2) I get a strong feeling that you have yet to apply for Building Regulations approval.

thats why i was asking because even though i am confident in electrics ive only ever added a socket or rewired a kitchen not installed a whole new ring, do i really need to apply to building regs for just 2 outdoor sockets? i was not sure on the new regs as they have changed them a few times recently. thanks

Sponsored Links
so ive looked around here and there's loads on electrics but not what i'm trying to do, and the regs seem to of changed again so i am not sure if i can self cert or need someone to come in and cert,or if i need a cert at all
Nearly all electrical work would require a certificate, a new circuit would require both certs and notification to building constrols.
i am confident with electrics as ive enjoyed doing bits with it for years but never took it outside so looking for a little advice.
How much of this have you designed, installed, inspected, tested, certificated?
It is legal requirement to prove any electrical work you have done is safe, have ever done this?
No disrespect but the fact you are asking some of the question you are, I think you need qualified supervision on this project.

thats why i was asking because even though i am confident in electrics ive only ever added a socket or rewired a kitchen
Between 2005 and 2012 that would have required BR approval.

To say nothing of comprehensive testing and the issuing of an EIC.

do i really need to apply to building regs for just 2 outdoor sockets?
It's a new circuit, so yes.

i was not sure on the new regs as they have changed them a few times recently. thanks
Up until the last change you would have needed to apply just because the sockets were outside, even if it had not been a new circuit.

nothing done that's why i was asking first as i know all the regs have changed since i last did anything, other than change a light, is there any way i can install these to sockets as a an extension or has it got to be a new ring?

is there any way i can install these to sockets as a an extension or has it got to be a new ring?

It does not have to be a new ring, it can be a radial circuit.
I wouldn't recommend breaking in to the RFC of the house to connect these outdoor electrics, for many reasons.

it was way before 2005
For a new circuit you now require to notify your work prior to starting work.
Part P also states you need to make reasonable provisions for safety, I would believe that would mean conforming to the relevant standards and proving by inspection and test, that the installation is safe to put in to service. This would also be required to be documented.

is there any way i can install these to sockets as a an extension or has it got to be a new ring?

It does not have to be a new ring, it can be a radial circuit.
I wouldn't recommend breaking in to the RFC of the house to connect these outdoor electrics, for many reasons.

radial circuit? is this expanding an existing one? do i still need all the certs and regs?

starting to look like i may go back to the drawing board with all this or get some solar lights and carry on using the extension lead :)

radial circuit?
Sorry I thought you knew a little bit about electrics? There are two standard types of socket circuits a ring final and radial, basic stuff!
is this expanding an existing one? do i still need all the certs and regs?
No and Yes(you always need certs and to follow regs)
starting to look like i may go back to the drawing board with all this or get some solar lights and carry on using the extension lead :)
It could be your best option, do you have RCD protection in the house?

no i said i was confident in electrics not that i know them, yes house has rcd

no i said i was confident in electrics not that i know them, yes house has rcd

Sorry my mistake, I thought being confident in something would/should require a knowledge to be confident of.

Well if this is on the extension lead circuit, you will be safer using that, than attempting this work without the required depth of knowledge. No disrespect but it is not as simple as running some cables across/through your garden!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back