Changing ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone :)

I just had my ceiling redone. The plasterer showed me how to refit the old light, but we have decided to replace it with a better looking one.

Problem is the wiring looks very different... and he has not responded to any of my calls. All I need to know is what to connect where and I can do the rest.

Please click on pics to see detail....

The first thing to get clear in my head is whether I use the junction box attached to the ceiling wires or the one attached to the light rose? Also, there doesn't appear to be an Earth in the light wires?

I'd be extremely grateful for any help...it's not possible to explain things too simply! Thanks for reading.... :)

Sponsored Links
Earth on the fitting the the terminal between live and neutral with possibly strange looking symbol, it is attached to a tab on the metalwork of the fitting. It must be connected

Your two blocks together are your neutral, your single black with the brown tape is the switched live and the three reds are the unswitched live which must be connected together but not to the fitting

Ahh, I think I get it now. The unswitched lives must stay attached together but are not attached to the light. I put them in the spare little plastic terminal box provided with the light to insulate them.

Then I put the switched live into the (live) terminal block on the light. Is that correct?

Thank you Adam and John for your replies.. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Job done. Light is looking fantastic...really, really happy.

Thank you so much Adam, John and Taylor for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated :D

Thank you so much Adam, John and Taylor for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated :D
I don't deserve any credit. For some reason, when I first saw your initial post, and replied to it, the photos weren't there, but when I subsequently saw them, they made nonsense of what I'd written - so I had to delete it!

Glad things are sorted (no thanks to me!), anyway!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back